We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why scheduled

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
why scheduled

just been doing a bit of digging into the various air lines that fly to Goa

and wondering why the charters are given such a bad press here on TA

Now I have only flown to Goa with Thomas Cook cattle class I had a 33" seat pitch 20kg luggage seat back tv .The food was typical airline food but quite edible and the crew were always there to help.And a big plus 9.5 hours flight time. So I would give them top marks

Thomson on paper appear to give the same level of service

Monarch not as good 31" seat pitch and shared tv

Then there is the scheduled don't think there is much between them

Quatar 32"-33" seat pitch to doha so you may be lucky then 31" on to Goa . So on comfort charter wins hands down.

Food airline food cant differ that much draw

entertainment TV is TV draw

luggage better on Quatar however if you cant get what you need in 20kg you need therapy

flight time best found was 13 hours

then there is the hassle of changing planes

prices are very similar and vary just the same

the only major plus seems to be the free booze

Seems a lot of people think it is beneath them to fly Thomas cook or simlar

or can somebody explain what makes the hassle of scheduled worth it

I understand that over 3 weeks you have no choice

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,662 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: why scheduled

It will be interesting to see what replies you get clifftonian. Many people on here slate the charters but as you say the legroom is the same on some charters as scheduled. As for the luggage allowance, extra would be useful if you're going for months at a time but even I manage ok with 20kg and OH thinks I take a lot lol. I've never found the food any better on scheduled than charters and drinking alcohol when I'm flying gives me a headache. Flew Cathay Pacific back from Hong Kong recently - the food was a lot worse than Monarch IMHO.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: why scheduled

I have no personal preference, I base it on cost and what's available at the time. Haven't really had a bad experience with charters so I have no problems.

Edited: 29 December 2012, 19:23
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
859 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: why scheduled

It's not a case of charter flights being beneath us. I just prefer Qatar. Although having said that we are going British airways on wed. Thomson are ok but I would never fly Thomas cook again, we went with them two years ago, paid for premium for the leg room as my oh is disabled and we couldn't even get a soft drink. I don't drink on the plane by the way. Went to the loo and the so called dedicated cabin crew were all sat behind the curtain drinking. The overall service was rubbish. We always go for 3 weeks so scheduled are often better for us. The flight times are usually better too. We have never flown monarch so can't comment on them. It's everyones own opinion after all.

Wirral U.K.
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: why scheduled

Monarch. We all know how awful they are.

Thomas cook squeeze 9 seats across their airbus instead of 8.

Thomson give better legroom but their 767s are getting very tired. May be a different story next year when they start rolling out their 787s.

The major difference for me is the way Qatar treat you. As a customer and not an inconvenience.

Just my opinion.

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: why scheduled

cliff ,,theres no probs with charter flights,,its ONLY monarch that gets MOST of the stick if u look at the posts and if only going for 2 week ,well the bombay way no time, to do that i would think,, but the charter prices got expen but by the look of the prices so far for jan,maybe a lot of cheap ones this season,,and QATAR the best way to goa i would say if u get the 2 hour transit,u get a bit of time to shake the bones but not to long,lol, for 550,ish pounds if get the sale price with qatar ,,and its all in with the price with qatar, more room ,food DRINK lol, not like the charters extra extra extra,,, plus its a age thing/ size thing,// there all big ones in ,prem seating lol,// well it is for me to long to do a charter;9 hours,cramped in a seat, with little room,but theres prem charter,seats going a cheap with t/cook,with out the free drink food ect just the extra room but for 50 pound on the goa flight its a ok price no probe but CAN be expen, its all down to cash gen.. bombay,then on to goa way can be done for 500 pounds and,/,with all the extras that charters charge for/ in with the set ticket price with a qatar ,emirates ect, its all in with the price more room.food luggage drink,,so u can save cash ,but like said that was last season when the charters were wanting 700,pounds for a two week return and more for 3 for 3/4 weeks,, think it could be diff this season unless thay cancel some charter flights bye, ps and monarch still got the best flight times with the charteres lol

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: why scheduled

I find its the attitude of the charters in that they change times , delay flights, have poor equipment , etc etc, and charge the earth for snacks and drinks , got the package mugs well and truly , if you don't mind all this and get half a decent price for flight only then happy days, last flight I did with Thompson was a 4 week flight, but that is max with them charters

7. Re: why scheduled

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 December 2012, 20:35
england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: why scheduled

ps ,cliff the 50 pound with t/,c is for the prem, return leg only,,lol

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: why scheduled

to be honest we find thomas cook times far better than monarch

monarch land at 07.30 so you land the hotel between 9.30 and 10.30 cant check in all you want to do is sleep basically a full day wasted

thomas cook land at 23.15 so hotel at 01.15-02.15 straight to sleep up at 9.00 in Goa time fit well and rested.Then on the return dont fly till 01.15 so you get a full day on the beach extend your check out evening meal and a last couple of honey bee taxi to airport not a second wasted and you are flying when your body says you should be asleep so sleeping is easy makes things easier once you land

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: why scheduled

we are doing that one this time clifftonian...haven't gone with tc since the 1st time 9yrs ago. gone with first choice monarch and thomson since. had good and bad with monarch.paid premium with thomson, waste of money! would never pay it again.

i look at flight times to suit as i work a 5 over 7 rota and so each year my holiday days are different.

this year, 9.30 out of manchester sunday morning, so booked overnight hotel and parking at airport night before.

fly back about 02.15, so all day in resort then sleep on way home (in theory).

i booked flight only and separate b and b, so we can go to bed when we arrive and keep room until we leave, ideal.... total cost of £1300 2 weeks b and b for 2 of us. 6th jan......not bad for time of year