We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hi from Cavelossim 2013

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,716 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Hi from Cavelossim 2013

Flew out yesterday from Manchester on a Thomas Cook Airbus A330 (with the downstairs loos). The flight was very comfortable with plenty of leg room and we arrived into Goa 10 minutes ahead of schedule. The lunch was a choice of Thai green curry with rice or sausage and mash, followed by strawberry and ginger cheesecake and cheese and biscuits. Typical airline food but quite tasy. An hour and a half before we landed we were served a snack of mini sandwiches plus a scone with clotted cream and jam. Wasn't over impressed, it was far too cold for one thing, but I ate it and it meant we didn't arrive in Goa starving.

As we were the only plane to land around that time it didn't take long at all to get through immigration. We had to wait about 10 minutes or so for the luggage but were outside meeting Anthony, Edwin's driver, within the hour - a very hassle free experience.

Arrived at Sao Domingos and checked into room 406 on the fourth floor at Luciana's.

Didn't wake until after 10 this morning but still managed to get breakfast and then went to see Jai at Jai International to change some money. Today's rate was 84 for cash and 83.5 for TCs. It's the first time I have ever got less in Cavelossim for my TCs than OH has for his cash. Still worth the security IMHO as I didn't have to pay the bank any commission for the TCs. We left the guest house by the back entrance and what a transformation! Normally this area is where there are piles of rubbish that they burn every day. However the rubbish had been cleared away and the area is much tidier. There doesn't seem to be as much rubbish in general this year but if I said there wasn't any I'd be lying!

Wandered down to the beach via beach road chatting to the sellers. It was a beautiful Goan day without a cloud in the sky and a lovely breeze. We strolled along the beach to the mouth of the River Sal watching the sand crabs scurrying around whilst a couple of eagles flew overhead. As we reached the estury there were lots of egrets on the beach and a heron was catching small fish. Unfortunately I'd forgotten to bring my camera out with me which was a shame as the sky was very clear and the heron would have made a nice picture. On the way back down the beach OH spotted a couple of dolphins in the distance out at sea. Unfortunately I can't confirm this sighting as how ever much I stared in the distance I couldn't see a thing. My short sightedness does come in handy in restaurants though when OH can't read the small print and I can!

We were going to go to Mike's shack but all the unoccupied sunbeds had towels on them so we went to Betty's instead. There were approximately 30 sunbeds at Betty's and at least 6 were free and it was lunch time by now. There were at least 20 sunbeds at Mike's but I can't confirm the exact number as we didn't get that close.

Spent a couple of hours relaxing on the beach and then had a late lunch at Betty's. OH had special hakka noodles and I had chicken hakka noodles. Total cost including 2 large Kingfisher and a lime soda was 530rp. There was no charge for the sunbeds. We stayed at Betty's until after 5.30 before making our way back to Sao Domingos.

There are definitely less sunbeds on the beach this year and they are much closer to the shacks which makes the beach much less cluttered. We did see quite a few free sunbeds around so there is no problem getting a bed, though you may not get one at your first choice of shack.

Logging on at the Business Centre where the rate is 40rp an hour which is the same as last year - happy days :-)

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hi from Cavelossim 2013

Cavelossim, lock up your cakes Gemma is back in town! Lol

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hi from Cavelossim 2013

Hi Gemma pleased you arrived safley.Looking forward to the rest of your reports.Choc lol

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hi from Cavelossim 2013

Hi Gemma, love the report, Anthony took us when we went 'up North' for a few days in December, what a lovely guy. Can't wait to get back on 8 March - 5 weeks Friday, but who's counting??

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hi from Cavelossim 2013

Hi Gemma

That just about covers our first day in Cavelossim in two weeks time too, Jai's, walk down to the Sal, then back to Betty's shack - heaven, tho we have a week at Santana first, good news about the beds!

Look forward to the rest of your reports.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 13:42
england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hi from Cavelossim 2013

,,,,,,,,,,,,,when u going, stal,,soon yes,,,maybe u can have a cake with her,,, it looks like the sun beds not much a prob,,some free ,,unless it the lack of tourists,,,think we will find out lol,,,,

Jersey UK
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hi from Cavelossim 2013

Sounds a nice start to your holiday,

Enjoy

Mims

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,716 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hi from Cavelossim 2013

Updated to add the internet charge was 60rp an hour not 40. A couple of breezers & dinner at Goan Village is next on the agenda :-)

8. Re: Hi from Cavelossim 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 16:05
Manchester
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hi from Cavelossim 2013

Great report and a good start to your holidays. Just got my visa back today and now have to wait four weeks before I fly over and not to far from you. Staying in the Fatrade beach area

hope you keep the reports coming, getting me in the mood

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hi from Cavelossim 2013

Hi Gemma glad your flight was good and departing the Airport was easy, i left you a message on Chelsea's post saying i hope you find Bread & More in Magao, as my OH said the Chocolate Cake and the Pineapple one is the best he has tasted in a long time, i would say he is quiet an expert. lol Have a great time.:-)) Gel