We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bits to take with you

Manchester
Level Contributor
168 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bits to take with you

Hello all

first thanks for all the advice I have been given this year. Doing the whole trip on own and no travel agents in sight lol. Had a few problems with BA but got them sorted.

Got an apartment booked near Fatrade beach , what would you take with you , its got its own kitchen with the normal stuff kettle fridge cooker and TELLY lol. Would you take coffee/tea/dry milk and so on maybe jam. Thanks in advance

Flying morning of the 1/3/13

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bits to take with you

you can get coffee Nescafe there in small shops jars or satchets very cheaponly 1 or bigger for 10rps. Also same for creamer milk. You may want to take jam as its not the same, we also took marmite and cheese. The sell Tetleys teabags also cheaper than at home. You can also buy satchets of ariel and Tide wash powder for 1rps 10rps and the large ones 50 rps... Anything else just ask.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bits to take with you

There are shops which sell coffee and tea; milk and honey available too. I usually buy long life skimmed milk there because I have only ever seen fresh whole milk on sale. If you really like powdered milk, you can buy that there too.

I take shower gel, suntan lotion, citronella oil and 50% deet mossie gel. Everything else in the way of toiletries gets bought qlocally.

For longer trips, staying in an apartment, I have sometimes taken no added sugar muesli to add to fresh curd and some sliced fruit for breakfast on the balcony. However, usually end up on the beach for breakfast.

Take a tea towel and some cleaning cloths, kitchen sponges, cleaning wipes etc just in case the cleaning standards in the apartment don't match your own!

I have occasionally been known to take some small cans of Schweppes slimline tonic as I have yet to find slimline tonic in Goa.....

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bits to take with you

everytthing what i put, you can buy your kitchen acc. cheap enough in Goa..I cant believe you take slimline tonic wwith you..You are on HOLIDAY!!........ As for fruit buy it at Market....

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,062 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bits to take with you

you can buy fresh milk in *bags* [?] from local shop .

moz spray [deet] , tea bags, leads and chargers, flash cards/memory sticks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bits to take with you

ThornhillLass, I prefer slimline tonic. I absolutely loathe the aftertaste of Twist, trying always to drink at bars where they serve Schweppes (even though it's the full fat version and usually costs more than the gin) or Power, a local Indian brand, I am a bit of a tonic water snob, bit fussy about my brand of gin too......

It always amuses me that Tata now own Tetley which most of us Brits, well of a certain age, still associate with those northern Tetley Tea Folk!

Manchester
Level Contributor
168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bits to take with you

Thank you for info. Doing it on own like i said so no waiter to call upon lol

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bits to take with you

Is there a good selection of hair products - mainly conditioner to buy locally - I normally take enough from home but will need to buy this year!

Boo

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bits to take with you

Boo5, good local hair products available. I like the sachets of Vatika conditioning shampoo - I bring some back to use on other holidays as the sachets are so portable. A sachet is 1 or 2 rupees, also available in bottles. Prefer the green sachets to the orange ones. If you want serum type products, try the local Silk-n-Shine (chemists usually sell it) which costs about 90 rupees and is really good. You can also find Garnier Fructus hair potions and lotions, cheaper than UK prices, slightly different products (more in line with the range they sell in the USA). No matter what product I use though and no matter the amount of hair straightening that goes on, the hair is just downright unruly in Goa!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bits to take with you

Thank you Londonraffles I know what you mean lol - had fairly short hair last March - hoped it would be easy to manage but with the humidity I looked like jedwards older sister most of the time!!!!

I'll look out for the products you suggested & shampoo as well as can't take the weight of all my products as need to bring my sun lotions so will buy the rest locally.

Boo

London, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bits to take with you

Depending,on how long u plan to stay? If long term stay than;

Humidity means that dishes dont dry very well. So bring tea towels. kitechen sponges, household wet wipes. Coffee Mugs., fork, knife, teaspoon. local stuff too fragile or small. . Most toileteries, is cheaper here. although officially not allowed, bring some cheese blocks, for making sandwiches and own salads.

other items useful; cloth pegs some plastic containers, as u can use them for storing liquids. Milk comes in packets, difficult to pour out, so a small milk jug.