We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palolem or Agonda??

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Palolem or Agonda??

Ive booked for 3 weeks to goa in december,and am going to spend 2 weeks in candolim.

We want to go down south for the 3rd week but after spending hours looking,just cant decide between palolem and agonda..any thoughts please??? or any good recommendations for a good beach hut..i would love one overlooking the sea!!!

Catherine

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,828 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palolem or Agonda??

It would be Agonda for me as I love it there, but it all depends how quiet you want it. Palolem is livelier with more nightlife. We stayed at Madhu when we went but my OH hated staying in a beach hut as it was too basic for him so we have had to make do with a day trip for the last few years. There are plenty of recommendations for accommodation in both places on the forum, though I'm sure somebody like St Alex will be along soon with more up to date recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Agonda
Agonda
South Goa District, India
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palolem or Agonda??

As Gemma1 says, it depends upon what you're looking for. Palolem was fairly quiet over Christmas this year and we actually chose to go there some evenings for dinner because it was quieter than usual. Unless you go to Neptune's Point, there isn't really that much in the way of nightlife though. Or Cleopatra's. Most of the restaurants were winding down by about 11 pm.

I probably prefer the northern end of Palolem, near Cozy Nook, to the beach at Agonda. However, we did spend a few days at the beach in Agonda - there are some lovely little shops along the little road parallel to the beach. Some very nice places to eat along the beach too - favourite was H2O for afternoon gin and tonics (even though they don't serve Schweppes) and dinner there was lovely too; appetisers in the bar area, moving to the restaurant when the main courses were ready. However, dinner at Ciaran's at Palolem was also a bit of a beach dinner highlight - very classy place, quite expensive, I'd stay there in a flash if I could afford it for 3 weeks!

If you are going to be there over the Christmas or New Year week, it may be an idea to book and to book soon. There is a lot of repeat business in the area and the best places do get booked up ahead (I have already paid a week's deposit for next December). However, if you're happy to busk it, you will find somewhere, especially at the less fancy hut compounds where you can still find a good quality hut. Bearing in mind that so little time is actually spent In the huts, cheaper may actually work out better! Don't forget that places there will start to close down soon and you may not then be able to contact them until they open again next season. Not all the huts have email or websites anyway and still depend upon walk up trade.

Mentioned in this post
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
Agonda
Agonda
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,171 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palolem or Agonda??

White Sands at Agonda is fab, but it is very quiet but I loved it for that reason. We also looked at H20 huts and they looked great and more of their huts seem to have a direct outlook over the sea, whereas Agonda White Sands only had one hut that directly faced the sea and one that had a partial side view (from the bedroom window).

Palolem is busier and has nightlife some of the guests at white sands used to head down to palolem in the evening but personally I preferred to sit out on the balcony of the hut and totally chill with a drink and the only sounds were the waves (oh and the dogs and frogs!)

Mentioned in this post
Agonda
Agonda
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
86 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palolem or Agonda??

I have visited both the places. Both the places are visually stunning. But in my view Agonda is the pearl,less commercial. Agonda is far less crowded than Palolem..

Mentioned in this post
Agonda
Agonda
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palolem or Agonda??

Agonda anyday!

Mentioned in this post
Agonda
Agonda
Paralimni, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palolem or Agonda??

Stayed two weeks in Palolem last year and visited Agonda for the day. Ended up staying there five weeks!

Just returned home to Turkey after three months in Agonda. Need I say more? Can't think of a negative thing to say about it.. Lovely beach, good choice of great restaurants, enough shops (with the nearest larger town, Chaudi, just a bus ride away) and the place has a comfortable, village feel about it.

Just my opinion, of course!

Mentioned in this post
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
Agonda
Agonda
manchester
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palolem or Agonda??

I have stayed I. Both and my new favourite is agonda, the beach at Palolem in my opinion is more visually stunning with more palm trees , but somehow agonda has stolen my heart, small village feel , some quiete classy eating places and a lovely German bakery . I will definitely be back :)

Mentioned in this post
Palolem
Palolem
Canacona, India
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palolem or Agonda??

I prefer Agonda, but it's quieter so might not suit you, it depends what you're looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Agonda
Agonda
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,171 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palolem or Agonda??

Oh Dande I am soooo jealous all that time in Agonda you lucky lucky person :o)

Mentioned in this post
Agonda
Agonda
10. Re: Palolem or Agonda??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 05:17