We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

info required

lancashire
Level Contributor
71 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
info required

Hi,

Has anyone out there travelled to Goa from Manchester in January 2007, I think the date would be the 27th. on a Monarch flight ?

We were booked on the flight and when we arrived at the airport were told that it would not be going out that day, due I believe to damage being caused to it on the tarmac.

According to the Martin Lewis money programe on TV this week it seems anyone in this situation may be entitled to compensation from the airline concerned (not the holiday insurance). Does anyone affected know the flight number? If we have this there is a website which has details of the delay and from that any affected party can pusue a claim if it appears that the airline could have acted differently.( In this case I believe they waited till the following day so they could charter a plane large enough to take our flight plus other passengers.)

It seems compensation levels could be quite high so hopefully someone will have the necessary info.

Good luck & kind regards

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,034 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: info required

Take a look at this forum on Money saving expert.

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php…

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
562 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: info required

why have you waited 6years?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,931 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: info required

It's only fairly recently that courts have ruled that people can claim.

I don't think it's an easy process, someone on here has posted about an ongoing claim that he has.

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: info required

I have an ongoing claim with Thomas cook for a flight in 2010. There is a template letter to use in the first instance on money saving expert .They will claim extraordinary circumstances beyond their control and may claim technical problems.A recant Europe court president has been set Technical problems are a maintenance issue and not beyond their control .You will probably wright several letters get nowere and be told to take your case to the CAA.I have decided not to take it to the CAA And have taken court action through the small claims court waiting for a responce.

There is plenty of info if you google the subject

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: info required

I have an ongoing claim with Thomas cook for a 32 hour delay in November 2012 and they don't want to know . Our group are in the process of taking the matter to court you will be very lucky to get anything from 6 years ago and if it was damage caused by the Tarmac that would be extraordanary circumstances which means you get nothing . Good luck to you

Ian

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,622 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: info required

With regards to the cause of the delay, whether what you believe is true or whether it's just hearsay you would have to prove your claim.

As this delay was almost six years ago I would image you would have great difficulty finding any proof of this. Also, as said, if the delay was caused by the tarmac then it's technically not Monarchs fault.

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: info required

bindoobaba it is the other way round the airline has to prove extraordinary circumstances.But as you say, if say a baggage truck hit the plane that would be beyond the airlines control.

As for the origional question simply wright to Monarch and ask they Have to give you the info

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,622 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: info required

Clifftonian, you're right, I meant to say that they would have to have proof for their claim.

Believe it or not but I used to work at Manchester Airport on the Push back Crew. On one particularly very hot and sunny day we pushed an aircraft back on to the taxiway, once we had stopped we had to tow it forward but we hadn't realised that when we had stopped the aircraft had stopped on an area of the taxiway that had been patched up with tarmac. When we started to tow forward the tarmac stuck to one of the aircraft wheels and wrapped all around it.

The aircraft had a delay of over an hour or so while airfield maintenanceand engineers cleared it all off the wheel.

Swinton, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: info required

Thomas Cook standard reply is to cite extraordinary circumstances. The CAA can advise if the response is reasonable. We have an outstanding complaint for a 12 hour delay to Corfu last year due to mechanical reasons (now cited at extraordinary circumstances). I am awaiting advice from CAA as they may take up the case. If not it's off to the small claims court.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: info required

The EU commission has stated airlines may not use mechanical breakdowns as extraordanary circumstances but trying telling the likes of Thomas cook that EU reg 261 was instigated to protect passengers from being trampled on by airlines but they are fighting tooth and nail to wriggle out of paying us what we are due when they mess up .

Good luck to every one fighting for compansation from the airlines.

Ian