We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has any body visited Church of St. Francis of Assisi

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Has any body visited Church of St. Francis of Assisi

I always believed Goa to be a cool chilled out place, but apart from that Goa has everything for everyone.I had always been to Goa with my friends so the need of the hour was always fun and chilling places.

This time my visit to Goa was with a different set of people, where cultural and traditional side of Goa became a prime list in our itinerary

i was surfing on some of the heritage places Goa owns ....and what i find is Goa is rich in these places with churches, temples, museums etc

Well I want to know more about Church of St. Francis of Assisi if any one has visited and also suggest me some of the heritage places in Goa.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has any body visited Church of St. Francis of Assisi

I have visited many times and seen the mumified body of the saint. You need to visit Old Goa for the churches and basilicas as its a very interesting and informative trip about Goa's Portuguese heritage.

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has any body visited Church of St. Francis of Assisi

I have visited this St.Franchis church and seen the grave box which lies in an altar of around 20-25 feet high Inside this grave box the body of Sr.francis kept

If you want to the actual dead body, you must wait till the grave box is open

Once In every 10 years the box is open I do not know when next time the box will be open

local people or Goa DEs may know the exact time when the box will be open next time

Till then you can only see box not dead body

They have also displayed pictures of this saint dead body

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has any body visited Church of St. Francis of Assisi

Please note that it's actually St Francis Xavier and not Assisi who is interned at the church. The feast of St Francis Xavier is celebrated on 3rd December.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,847 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has any body visited Church of St. Francis of Assisi

Do you mean St Francis of Assisi or Francis Xavier? I know nothing about saints, but am fairly sure they're not the same and that it's St Francis Xavier whose church is in Old Goa.

Alcester, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has any body visited Church of St. Francis of Assisi

Got back from India last week and visited Goa and Kerala, It was during Holy week and the churches were all packed. Some very grand old churches in Old Goa. I think one is supposed to be the biggest in Asia. A nice one in the centre of Panaji - Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Church, overlooking the city. Plenty in Fort Kochi (Kerala) too. There seemed to be more Christians than any other religions in both these areas.

http://westerrnghats.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited: 09 April 2013, 08:49
UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has any body visited Church of St. Francis of Assisi

I am pretty sure the next exposition of St Francis Xavier is 2014. I walked past his body in 2004 so it will be 10 years since the last time.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has any body visited Church of St. Francis of Assisi

You are correct goatravellers and boy will there be a huge crowd again!!

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has any body visited Church of St. Francis of Assisi

Yes and can I add something else.

I had my bag slashed with a blade and just managed to grab my purse back from someone's hand.

Suddenly all those around me disappeared in a second. Pilgrims beware!

Blackpool
Level Contributor
425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has any body visited Church of St. Francis of Assisi

as you approach the churches on the Old Goa Rd NH4, St Francis Assisi church and Se Cathedral are in the grounds on the left, St Francis Xaviers remains are in the Bom Jesus Bassillica on the right hand side of the main road, passed it today going to the Divar ferry terminal

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has any body visited Church of St. Francis of Assisi

Apparently, they're planning to invite the new Pope to the exposition next year!

It should be complete chaos!!!

Wolf