We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mira hotel or Osborne Hotel

Scotland
Level Contributor
374 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mira hotel or Osborne Hotel

Hi all, I am getting the Mira hotel or the Osborne hotel ( normal room not the upgraded one) for a good price. Osborne is £20 more so no difference. What hotel would you choose? Both have decent reviews and I can't really decide! It's our first time to Goa. Thanks!

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
82 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mira hotel or Osborne Hotel

my 1st visit was feb this year and stayed at Osborne at 1st glance thought it was awful very basic but after sleep it wasn't that bad in fact just booked to go back there nxt year..found it a great base..people lovely..and can't wait to return x

manchester uk
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mira hotel or Osborne Hotel

Only stayed at the Osborne once a few years ago..it was OK..plenty of restaurants within walking distance,,10/15 walk to the beach...basic rooms...3 blocks....somewhere to sleep...nice and quiet off the main road..

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,622 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mira hotel or Osborne Hotel

The Mira is more central and close to all shops and bars etc, it's also closer to the beach but basically both hotels are decent.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mira hotel or Osborne Hotel

I've never been to the Osborne but have been to the Mira 5 times, however it does need upgrading. The plus point is that it is very central and a quick walk to the beach, turning right as you walk out of the hotel and nip through the Paradise Village grounds and you come right out at a nicer bit of Calangute Beach. Try and request a pool room if you do book as they are much better in my opinion. Be aware the mattresses are thin and not very comfy and the bathrooms have very little ventilation turning it into a sauna!!!

However, I wouldn't personally return to the Mira or stay in Calangute again (too busy for me now), but I would come back to Goa and head down South to Agonda or North to some of the nicer beaches.

Good luck with your choice, remember this is only my opinion so please don't let it put you off, I just want a more chill out type of holiday now and that's why I wouldn't go back to Calangute.

Scotland
Level Contributor
374 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mira hotel or Osborne Hotel

Thank you for your replies! The reason for picking those two is that they come in near the budget of £750 each for 11 or 14 nights. They come in at £680 but the other hotels that come in nearer £750 seem to have worse reviews! We have been looking at some places in the south but they seem really isolated. Don't mind small resorts but need some places to walk too.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mira hotel or Osborne Hotel

Some parts of the south are a bit isolated, but lots of resorts have plenty to do. I go to Cavalossim most of the time now but did go to the north for 7 or 8 times.

Really it depends on what you're looking for. generally speaking the south is very much more layed back and peaceful.

Lots of walking and exploring places in Cavalossim, there are river cruises and dolphin spotting boat trips to mention a few.

You can also look at Benaulim and Varca, also nice places to stay.

BOB...

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mira hotel or Osborne Hotel

There might not be many small hotels in the south that are on a package holiday on a buget.

Both hotels you name are very basic, . but do have return visitors i know one of the forum destination experts is booked to go to the Osbourn this comeing season. I would try and look at what is in the Area that you like, not just the hotel ,and go from there. I personally would prefer the Osbourne , but that is just me.

Scotland
Level Contributor
374 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mira hotel or Osborne Hotel

We are off to Mauritius this year so really just looking for a good base in Goa that we can get out and about form and have a fun 2nd holiday! Basic is fine ( stayed in some questionable places when backpacking a few years back) it just has to be clean and safe. No issues with the south. Will do a little more research of places there.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mira hotel or Osborne Hotel

Suncrush, have a look at tharobster's blog to help you out

http://tharobster.wordpress.com/

Wirral U.K.
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mira hotel or Osborne Hotel

Never stayed at either so cannot comment on rooms. However Mira is in a great location for either Calangute lunacy or Baga just down the road.

Most hotels in Goa are in need of an upgrade so whichever you choose do not expect luxury.