We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south goa, drive from Mumbai, business and pleasure trip

toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
south goa, drive from Mumbai, business and pleasure trip

Canadian man wishing to drive from Mumbai to goa, sometime between September and January. Any ideas, suggestions and sharing expenses welcomed. Need accommodation between colva and cansaulim, and car rental or purchase information. Also need to meet real estate builder or contractor.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: south goa, drive from Mumbai, business and pleasure trip

Hi Canadian Chap.

Mumbai to Goa is around 610 Kms. Driving is really fun as roads are good. If you are buying a car than no need for a car rental agency to look for but if you want to hire a car than approximately it will be 12-14 Rs / Km along with the Chauffeur. Only you have to give him night halt charges and lodging charges.

Regarding Contractors and real estate builders no idea.

Cheers

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: south goa, drive from Mumbai, business and pleasure trip

Hi,

You can travel via Kolhapur as can travel by express highway upto Kolhapur. Then you can have night stay at Panhala Fort area. On the way you can also visit Dajipur Wildlife sanctuary.

Mumbai Goa highway also is very scenic but the road is bit narrow, only 2 lanes way. Now it is being broadened and the work is going on at various places on the way.

On the way you can visit Tarkarli just before Goa border. You can google these places to find out more.

Sanjiv

toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: south goa, drive from Mumbai, business and pleasure trip

thanks, man... I would prefer self-drive, and am looking for a good deal on an automatic with a/c purchase in Mumbai; I understand there are two different routes to travel, one along the coast and the other along the Ghats. I probably will do both, one going and the other coming. Where can I advertise for local company or guide knowing a bit about the areas, willing and able to travel with me?

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: south goa, drive from Mumbai, business and pleasure trip

torontochap

You may well be able to buy a car......registering and insuring it will be another matter completely. If you want to keep your sanity intact, rent one!

Wolf

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: south goa, drive from Mumbai, business and pleasure trip

Torontochap

I have sent you a PM. :-)) Gel

toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: south goa, drive from Mumbai, business and pleasure trip

Mr. Wolf, thanks... but every rental agency wants me to take along a driver. I have no problem with a guide, but leave the driving to me, I feel safer!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: south goa, drive from Mumbai, business and pleasure trip

Hi,

I assume (by looking at your tremendous enthusiam for self driving in India), that it is your first visit to India. Once you come here and witness the driving scene, you will feel you are driving like a hero in a movie "death race" (I hope I remember the name correctly, where a lady jailor makes the prisoners to participate in drive to finish other car race or you may feel like participating in the TV reality show "X factor").

So I request you to first arrive and see how you feel about it.

If it is not your first visit to India and you are aware of the driving conditions and mentality of Indian drivers (rules must be there and should be adhered to - "but by others only, not me" type) and still you insist on driving then I sincerely salute you for your bravery and enthusiasm.

You are right, both the ways offer scenery, coastal one (i.e Mumbai Goa Highway) and the other one via Kolhapur)

Sanjiv

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: south goa, drive from Mumbai, business and pleasure trip

Hi Again Toronto Chap

Mr. Sanjeev is absolutely right. First come over here have a look at the scene and than you may go ahead. Driving in Canada and driving in India is totally different. I think you must be driving left hand drive over there so that may be also a big problem in adjusting if you will drive a right hand vehicle.

Cheers

toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: south goa, drive from Mumbai, business and pleasure trip

Sanjiv, Sir,

I thank you for your advice and warning. Granted, I am used to wide lanes and multiple-lane highways, but I intend to be careful, even if other drivers are not. I have done the Bombay to Goa train, bus and ship, many, many years ago. It is the pleasure of driving that goads me to self-drive on this route. I will take every bit of advice you pass on, and suggestions of places to stop by. Thanks, again.

toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: south goa, drive from Mumbai, business and pleasure trip

You bet... I recall the first time I got into the drivers seat of a car, right from the airplane at Stanstead Airport in the UK.... and THAT was the first time I drove on the wrong side, I mean the left side, of the road! Still, not even a day passed and I came to a stop at a traffic intersection ( rather than the round and round roundabouts) wondering why the car on the other side of the road was facing me... and realized just in time that I WAS the one on the wrong side. Hopefully, that was then and I am a bit older now.