We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goa for older children (12 and 13) and where to stay?

Manchester
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Goa for older children (12 and 13) and where to stay?

Due to other commitments our family holiday next year will have to be taken February/March. My children will be 12 and 13. Theyre fairly easy going and enjoy swimming, snorkelling. We have stayed in all inclusives which theyve enjoyed but also done quiet islands such as Gozo with just a villa and a car. Would Goa be a suitable place for them and would we be better in a hotel or self catering? I dont want to travel all that way to spend 2 weeks in a hotel complex, but on the other hand I'm aware we've never been to Goa before and wonder whether we'd would be better in a hotel on our first visit. Our other options are Egypt (altho we've done that several times) or Mexico. My husband took my older step children to Sri Lanka when they were small, but that was almost 20 years ago. Any help appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Goa for older children (12 and 13) and where to stay?

definitely b & b or sc if you do decide to head out to goa, the main attraction for the majority is the vast array of fantastic places to eat and drink, ive been to quite a few places in the world, but nothing and I do mean nothing compares to goa, it really is unique, maybe if you try watching a few vids on youtube, its possible you could get a feel for it

I know people who have tried goa and absolutely hated it, but if you like goa, it really gets under your skin, it really cant be explained, it has to be experienced

I think the best thing to do before committing, is ask as many questions as possible, and research

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goa for older children (12 and 13) and where to stay?

I have been travelling to Goa for many years and take my grandchildren to. I think if you take children to Goa, the thing you have to appreciate is there is nothing for them to do. Now when i say that ,I mean nothing "laid on" for children , they have to make there own fun, now if your children can make there own fun they will have a wonderfull time ( my lot love it)_ If not , you could have some very bored kids in tow.

I would take mine in an hotel B&B for my first visit to Goa, and i would look at Candolim as a place to stay.

hereford
Level Contributor
447 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goa for older children (12 and 13) and where to stay?

I think they would probably love it, and Candolim is fantastic. However, swimming, snorkelling isnt safe there as far as I am aware.

Manchester
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goa for older children (12 and 13) and where to stay?

Thanks for your help. Theyre fairly good at keeping each other company but a pool, swimming etc is essential. We've always avoided B&Bs in the past, as eating out all the time with a family of 4 can work out expensive. We've usually gone for a hotel or somewhere with proper cooking facilities. But maybe that isnt such an issue in Goa? Would 'self catering' be difficult? Sorry, I must sound very naive (:

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
980 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Goa for older children (12 and 13) and where to stay?

Hi

Since the River Princess has gone the beach at Candolim has greatly improved. The swimming last Jan/Feb was the best its ever been with a flat shallow sandy beach stretching out a 100 metres or more, and small waves to make it interesting. Only on two or three days in the month was it too windy to be safe to be in the sea, with constant life guard patrols. Hugely improved over the previous eight years I've been going to Candolim.

Any animal-loving child would absolutely love the overnight Jungle Book trip to stay in an elephant camp.

You can get hotels with suites of rooms and a kitchen area for preparing cold food (from the markets). But eating out can be as cheap. The hotel pools are generally quite good, although some are not kept properly clean at the budget end of the market.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 10:29
Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goa for older children (12 and 13) and where to stay?

There are apartments to be had in candolim , but i find that in Goa it is just as cheap to goB&B . the hotel supplies breakfast , lunch iin a beach shack for a couple of pounds each, evening meal around a £5./6 each . we normally say £30/40 per day per couple for everything this inculudes booze, taxi's and the odd bit of shopping.. I do find that European type food is NOT cheap to buy in India , in fact some of it can be down right expensive to buy in the shops., you cannot get fresh meat ( nesrby) and fruit and veg as easily as you might think either.

Many hotels will supply a fridge in your room , so you can have cold drinks . Take a travel kettle for a cuppa, buy a few nibbles to have on your balcony, great!!.

The Highland Beach hotel in Candolim has "rooms" that are really a two bedroom apartment with a living room and a kitchen area with fridge ( nowhere to cook) , but these are great for a family. . It would allow you to prepare some cold food , if you wanted to.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 11:23
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Goa for older children (12 and 13) and where to stay?

seriously,i wouldn't even dream of self catering and preparing your own meals, its really really cheap to eat out, and food is excellent more or less everywhere

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goa for older children (12 and 13) and where to stay?

The variety of restaurants in Goa is great. You can have all your Indian dishes if you want but they also have, French, English, Italian, Chinese etc. I've had some of the best steaks in Candolim and the burgers are nice as well. Proper beef and cooked the way you want spice or no spice etc. First took our daughters 14 and 16 at the time and after the initial culture shock they loved it and have been back many times since. Goa is a real education for any kids to see and makes them appreciate how lucky they are.

Manchester
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goa for older children (12 and 13) and where to stay?

Yes my daughter has already clocked the jungle trip! I think I've been persuaded that self catering isn't necessary. Just need to find somewhere to stay now. Thompsons website seems mainly all inclusive and Thomas cook gives a choice of just 4. Monarch seem to be offering lots of 2 centred holidays. Is there anyone I'm missing?

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
980 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Goa for older children (12 and 13) and where to stay?

Hi

Jewel In The Crown has m,ost of the hotels people stay in, at all prices:

http://www.jewelholidays.com

Edited: 15 July 2013, 15:37