We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi from airport

n wales
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Topic
taxi from airport

going to goa feb 06 is it best to get taxi from airport to hotel instead of going on coach provided. Staying at Nizmar hotel in Calagunte, if so how much will it cost?

kansas
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi from airport

ITs always cheaper to take the hotel provided conveyance. Taking a taxi/cab might cost you Rs300/500 which might look cheap when you convert to pounds but why waste when you can spend on something else.

England
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi from airport

Tilly,

Take a taxi, we paid 600 rupees in November for a trip from the airport to Calangute, you should pay no more than 800 at the most, that's only a tenner for over an hour's journey, so well worth it. It also means you don't have to wait at the airport for everyone to get on the bus and you go directly to your hotel.

n wales
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi from airport

thanks for your replies we will proberly get taxi to get to digs a bit quicker

uk liverpool
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi from airport

taxi definitely your best option!! you'll wait a long time for the coach!

Essex
Level Contributor
304 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi from airport

The counter argument for using the coach transfer is that you get to speak to other people and can find out about the area you are visiting from people who have probably been before. Old timers can be full of good local knowledge about the best places to eat etc.

Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi from airport

taxi everytime, speak to the driver first to make sure his English is good and he will probably give you a tour on the way to Calungute!

Beds
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi from airport

Hi Tilly

I have a phone number and e-mail address of the taxi driver we use.

There will be many taxi's out side the airport, so you wont have a problem getting one.

You may just like the peace of mind knowing that there is someone waiting for you.

You won't have to haggle a price and you will not be over charged. We paid 500 / 600 which is the going rate.

We used him for our 2 weeks out there in feb and have him booked to pick us up in Dec.

he is a lovely man and very reliable.

Please contact me if you want the details.

ptmch

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi from airport

I really don't agree that the taxi is the best option, unless you're really flush with funds. I recall that we stepped outside the main gate of the Goa airport and there, directly opposite, was a bus waiting to take us to the nearest town (whose name I can't recall, but it's only a few kilometres away) for just a few rupees. It deposited us at a bus station where there were buses leaving continuously for just about everywhere; we hopped on the bus to Panjim, which departed immediately, and arrived there in very short order, having paid no more than fifty or sixty rupees all up. The taxi will cost ten or twelve times that much, and it won't be half the fun.

I don't know, of course, if you'd have to change buses a second time -- since we were headed for Panjim, we only had to make the one change -- but the bus system in Goa is so easy to use -- step off any bus and there are a dozen people waiting to point you to the corrrect one for your destination, and it always seems to be leaving within a minute or two -- that I can't imagine you'd be much disadvantaged by another change.

We spent five weeks in India and only used a taxi twice -- and that was just as a favour to the man who helped us with a hotel booking. Buses, trains and the occasional autorickshaw are all part of that bizarre experience called India. Don't be tempted to distance yourself from it in the safe confines of a taxi.