We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise for single travellers

Bedford, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advise for single travellers

Hey

I'll be travelling to India by myself (scary - exciting stuff!). It either gonna be late this year or early next. I intend to do a bit of travelling first and ending my trip with long stay in Goa (which I fell in love with on my first trip to in 2010).

My question is to any fellow solo travellers out there..... What would be your top tips for travelling alone? Definitely would be interested in to hear from any female travellers....:-)

england
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise for single travellers

Hi, never traveled to India alone, but have been to many places all over India ( Delhi, Amritsar, Chandigarh , shimla, varanesi, Mumbai, Kerala, Agra, Jaipur, bikanear, jodhpur, jaisalmer), every place different to the next. Have done the trains, but now tend to use a company called four wheel drive to get around. Good prices, but depends on your budget. You just have to be wise and alert, don,t wear expensive jewellery, try not to carry a bag on show, but carry items in pockets.suggest you book a multi city flight to avoid back tracking. Delhi is a good starting point for alot of places.

2. Re: Advise for single travellers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 September 2013, 00:35
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise for single travellers

Don't wear revealing clothing outside of Goa. Take a padlock with you for double locking your hotel room and luggage. Be a bit wary of anyone who tries to get over friendly and as Chelseawolves says, don't wear expensive jewellery or flash the cash too much.

Bedford, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise for single travellers

Good advice so far. Thanks :-)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise for single travellers

It is a very easy place to travel solo. You will meet plenty of other people of all ages and both genders from different countries travelling around too so you may pick up a travel buddy along the way for part of the adventure! You quite often come across small groups of people in South Goa who have all met somewhere along the route. Usual rules apply for males and females - exercise the same caution you would in your usual environment, don't be reckless (wear sunscreen, wear a seatbelt!), enjoy the interest that you may generate on trains and buses - people will wish to ask you lots of questions about yourself, the Indians are generally quite forthright and sometimes ask questions which may seem quite direct and personal. if you ever feel unsafe anywhere, head back to a place where you feel safe again. Trust your instinct. Don't get drunk on your own - you need your wits about you slightly more when you're on your own!

Lonely Planet publishes a book for solo travel directed at females - see if your local library has a copy so you can have a good read through for free. Or, if any bookshops still remain in your area (they all seem to be closing in London!), browse the shelves and have a bit of a skim read there too to see whether the book is worth buying.

Solo travel is great fun as you get to do exactly what you want, no compromise necessary, you often get to meet more people as they're likely to engage more with a single person than a couple or a family travelling with kids.

6. Re: Advise for single travellers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2013, 01:29
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise for single travellers

HI Laverne,

I spent 10 weeks earlier this year on my own and I am heading back next month for 5 weeks. I found India quite safe. I lived as a local in Rajasthan for some of my time, as well as travelling around and I also went to Goa. I am assuming that you are caucasian...sorry if I am wrong, but in many parts of India, especially more remote rural areas, being white draws attention naturally and the people are just curious and are genuinely interested in learning about what country you are from, what life is like for you and practicing any english (how ever little!) they may know! It may feel awkward at first, because they will gather around you, like a crowd, or follow you. Please do not be alarmed. It is up to you how you handle it, but personally, I find that I like to stop, smile and say hello and take some time to chat and interact. I am usually invited into home for tea or even for meals and I would say that in most cases I have accepted these invitations because it has not been in isolated places alone with one person...usually the entire colony (what they call a neighbourhood) or the village gathers to witness! LOL! I also do not sit on the chair that is offered, I sit on the floor with all the others. This has given me incredible insight and experiences in India.

That being said, you do need to take the usual precautions that you would when travelling anywhere in the world. If you feel that you are receiving too much male attention on the street from males, i find that wearing dark sunglasses so you can avoid eye contact is helpful, and also covering my hair with a cotton shawl is helpful because I am blonde, so I am not so obvious on a crowded street or market. As you would in any country, avoid walking alone outside after dark and lock your hotel room doors at all times....but I have found most indians very friendly, respectful and helpful. You need to be aware of cultural issue with clothing - shorts, short skirts, low cut tops etc are not appropriate and will just draw unwanted attention.

Goa is a different matter - the touristy part it is much more "western" there and the attitude is much more liberal and open - so bikinis are worn, shorts and tank tops worn and its a little bit more like going to any beach resort you may have gone to before, not to say you shouldn't still take the same precautions.

I hope that helps you, Jo

Edited: 10 September 2013, 00:51
Bedford, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advise for single travellers

Thank you both so much Jo and Londonraffles. Sorry it took me so long to say thanks, I haven't logged in for a while. You have both given me some great tips and assurances.

Its 90% certainty that its going to be January when I'll be heading off! I've been doing a lot of reading online from different sources and have gained some really valuable advise. Lonely Planets is a great site for info.

I don't think I've ever been so excitedly scared in my life lol but I am looking forward to my Indian adventure! :-)

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advise for single travellers

www.travbuddy.com/Goa-travel-partners-481606

get a buddy,laverne,,, but be careful,,bye

…virtualtourist.com/Goa-1098247-5-10077132/S…

Edited: 24 October 2013, 18:09
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advise for single travellers

India is safe to some extent..

In north India use trousers instead of shorts.. no short tops, use loose dresses..

Avoid drinks/food from strangers.

Avoid going out alone in the night.

Avoid being too friendly, as this may be taken in the wrong spirit

Goa is a different ball game...