We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calicut or Cochin

england
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Calicut or Cochin

Still looking to book flights, and as qatar have no deals on return flights to goa, have now decided on flying into Kerala for a couple of days and out of goa, as works out 499 pounds. Now have the choice of Cochin which I have been to, or trying Calicut , as anyone been to Calicut and how do you compare the two?.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calicut or Cochin

Cochin (new name Kochi) is far more colourful, there is more to see (history, sights) and is more tourist friendly.

Munnar is 3 hours from Cochin (tea plantations), so is Thekkady (elephant sanctuary).

Probably the only major attraction around Calicut (new name is Kozhikode) is Wayanad, a dense forested area with some plantations, about 50 to 100 km away. There are several over-priced home-stays and resorts in Wayanad, a popular getaway from Bangalore. There are a few ancient caves dating back several thousand years about 100 km from Calicut, not much more that I can think of. Vasco da Gama's landing site is a disaster in terms of upkeep.

Having been to Calicut, Wayanad and Cochin, I would vote for Cochin, though the Wayanad area is pretty.

My recent Fort Kochi JBR is here:

…blogspot.in/2013/08/fort-kochi-colourful-ce…

I never got around to compiling my Calicut and Wayanad blogs, did not find enough to write about!

- Jyoti

england
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calicut or Cochin

Thank you jyoti for your reply, havin stayed at the fort cochin area on my last visit for four nights, is there another area you would suggest no more than a 3 hr drive from kochi airport?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
1,541 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calicut or Cochin

since you have visited fort kochi you can take a look at munnar and/or thekkady both about 3 hours from cochin towards the east.

else if the kochi part can be changed, try varkala 60 mins from trivandrum airport.

- jyoti

Edited: 30 September 2013, 19:07
UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calicut or Cochin

I like both kochi and calicut. Depends on what you want from a place. I could quite easily mooch around calicut for a couple of days. Promenade, museums, markets, general street life etc; but there again

I dont go for all touristy things.

england
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calicut or Cochin

Thanks igirl,Trivandrum out the question as a lot more in price than kochi, that,s qatar airways for you.

6. Re: Calicut or Cochin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 06:21