We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding Delhi Belly...

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding Delhi Belly...

Hello again folks

Without wishing to go into too much detail, my 49 year old stomach can be quite sensitive. I love trying new eating experiences however and am looking forward to trying out the Goan curries on offer. A couple of folk have advised going vegetarian to minimise the risk of suffering a dose of the trots but I'm wondering if this is necessary.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding Delhi Belly...

Load of nonsense !!!!!!

Always wash your hands, before and after eating...Also after handling money....

Lots on here use anti bacterial gels and wipes, which can be bought very cheaply...

Only drink bottled water, also use this for brushing your teeth....

As long as your carefull, you can eat whatever you want and have a great holiday...

The only time i have been ill is by having too many Honey bees.. lol

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding Delhi Belly...

That's reassuring. Thanks Glyn...

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding Delhi Belly...

If you do get ill, there is plenty of chemists, that will give you the relevant medication...

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding Delhi Belly...

One of the best tips I can offer (apart from the above) is to choose restaurants that are busy - less chance of the food lying around.

Having said that, eat, drink and be merry........you'd be very unlucky to have any problems!

Wolf

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding Delhi Belly...

Handwash obsessively, then use hand sanitising gel. Use the hand gel after opening or closing taxi doors, shop doors, money handling etc. A lot of panhandlers will try to shake hands with you to encourage you to stay in their shop and buy from them - unless you walk around Waitrose shaking hands with the staff in the aisles, don't feel obliged to shake anyone's hand there. If you do, hand gel.

Drink plenty of water, more than you might here.

Not a meat eater myself and have never got the Delhi B on any of my travels to different parts of India (or elsewhere). One of my meat eating friends who had decided to eat veggie on a road trip through the Himalaya foothills got really sick, even needing medical treatment, the day after deciding to succumb to the meat temptation with a chicken something or other. We will never know if the two things were related!

Don't overdo the sunshine and wear a hat to help avoid dehydration (and a burnt head, face, nose, none of which make for am attractive look!).

If you think a place looks dodgy, don't eat there. I didn't fancy the look of a place we went to one evening in Goa and just had a beer and something to eat somewhere else later - two sick people the next morning and I was not one of them!

Goa beach businesses and resort restaurants are generally good - food hygiene rarely matches European or American standards, but most of us seem to have lived to tell the tale! Enjoy your holiday and trying out some new cuisine there - if you really like something, ask if the chef will give you a cooking class the next day!

chesterfield
Level Contributor
438 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding Delhi Belly...

Avoid milk shakes, and if ill go to the docs and get the proper medication if needed

Edited: 06 October 2013, 15:25
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding Delhi Belly...

I have a milk shake, every morning from Bonno's Shack, when in Goa, and never had a dicky tummy.. : )

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding Delhi Belly...

Sorry, Glyn...........I avoid milkshakes as well! I had one of my worst experiences ever after a milkshake.....never again!

Wolf

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding Delhi Belly...

Perhaps i have that many, i became tolerant to them... lol

Different places have different cleanliness, i suppose.. ????

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding Delhi Belly...

Every time I travel abroad I always take a bottle of Kaolin and Morphine which you can buy in any chemist, and I will be taking 2 this time excellent for the tummy, and if your feeling a bit under the weather with a few too many sherberts it also brings you back to life a bit, my friend and I are both vegetarians and we can still suffer.!!

And I agree with the hand washing i,m always dong it, and always carry a bottle of hand sanitizer and always use it constantly !