We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Generic Malarone.

NE UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Generic Malarone.

Hi

We are off to the doctors later today to discuss anti malaria tablets.

For the kids 13 & 11 I would expect malarone to be the best bet. There is a generic malarone available atovaquone proguanil. Anyone know of the cheapest online store for the above? Would the presciption be made out for malarone or the generic name?

My wife and I last used malaria tablets in 1999 when we were in The Gambia. What's annoying is we can't remember the name of the tablets we took because we had no side effects.

I dont want to have to pay ££££££'s for malarone for the whole family. Arrghh

england
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Generic Malarone.

Have a word with your doctor and see what's best for all of you, where malarone is the most expensive there is other options. I always take p and a, a seven week pack from super drug last time was 15.50. You take a week b4, then during hol and then four weeks after return. The cheapest places to buy on line is Brennan's parmarcy and travelpharm.

Edited: 11 October 2013, 03:27
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
815 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Generic Malarone.

I have ordered the generic malarone from travelpharm at £1.75 per tablet. Good advice above about seeing what GP advises and be careful about going for the cheapest. Advice on line states Goa is now high risk and P&A is also now not widely recommended for goa.

shoreham-by-sea
Level Contributor
201 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Generic Malarone.

I just got my generic ones from manor Pharmacy online £1.75 each and free delivery. Came within a couple of days. Couldn't find them any cheaper than that!

darlington
Level Contributor
464 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Generic Malarone.

hi did you have to pay a prescription fee from manor pharmacy and if so how much , thanks

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Generic Malarone.

alli ...theres a lot of fake tablets about, be careful ,,if u bye on line,,

shoreham-by-sea
Level Contributor
201 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Generic Malarone.

Hi,

I paid £10 for the assessment which covered both of us. They are the genuine article.

Def recommend them.

shoreham-by-sea
Level Contributor
201 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Generic Malarone.

Hi,

I paid £10 for the assessment which covered both of us. They are the genuine article.

Def recommend them.

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Generic Malarone.

I bought the Generic Malarone from Travelpharm £1.75 per tablet plus £10 Prescription for both of us, very easy to answer the questions came within a few days, :-)) Gel

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
47 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Generic Malarone.

Malaria is present in Goa and, although it may be considered a "low risk" area, the number of reported cases is on the increase. Of greater concern is the fact that Chloroquine resistant malaria is now also present in Goa. This means that a number of the older type of anti-malarials are ineffective at preventing infection. We have been taking Malarone on holiday or business trips in a number of countries for 10 years and have never had any unpleasant side effects from the medication. For the first couple of years they did give us both the most wonderfully vivid dreams though! Malarone isn't cheap, but you've only got to take it for 2 days before arriving in Goa, whilst you are there, and for 7 days after leaving. Considering the overall cost of a holiday taken half way across the world, it's a relatively small price to pay to ensure that you are protected. Malaria is not a disease to be taken lightly. It can, and it does, kill. (I used to work in Public Health Medicine, so I do know what I'm on about). In addition, I suggest you take some 50% DEET spray or lotion with you. We've never had a single mosquito bite when using this. It can be bought in Boots. Tesco also sells it (in a bright green bottle) - and it's much cheaper here.

10. Re: Generic Malarone.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:17