We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not using return flight to continue travelling?

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Not using return flight to continue travelling?

Hey Guys.

I am travelling for the first time to India with my girlfriend mid December. Our plans are to travel for 2 months. The cheapest option we found was to book a Thomas Cook package holiday (an outbound and return flight and 7 nights accommodation that I doubt we will use for 300 pounds). Our plan is to continue tavelling and not take the flight back which a member of staff at the Thomas Cook helpline said was fine. However in the paperwork I received today it says 'Indian authorities require customers to travel by return flights on the same airline. One way flights are not permitted'. We have already obtained 6 month visas.

Any help would be greaty appreciated.

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Not using return flight to continue travelling?

I did that about five years ago. Decided not to use the return and stayed in Goa another month. Bought another flight from an agent and was no problem. Only worry would be point of entry and departure as not sure if they need to be the same although I doubt it.

Villaricos, Spain
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not using return flight to continue travelling?

James - was that with a Scheduled flight or a Charter Flight?

I think (?) the rule for charter flights is that they are not allowed to SELL one-way flights.

However, my daughter flew out on a return charter flight a few years ago, did not use the return flight, stayed a few months with us, and I booked her back to the UK on a new Scheduled flight. we had no probs and no questions were asked.

Blues

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not using return flight to continue travelling?

Basically if you travel by charter flight you should return the same way, they are the rules, you may get away with it then again you may not your choice,

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not using return flight to continue travelling?

Just go,with flow. Buy your ticket from wherever when you are ready to return. Unless you are a PIO or have a visa which last for more than 6 months, 'the authorities' will hardly prevent you from leaving the Republic and they will hardly, same as the UK, be preventing from leaving the jurisdiction..

Happy holidays.

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not using return flight to continue travelling?

It is probably a rule to stop charter flights selling one way tickets. They have not sold you a one way ticket they have sold you a return.

As you are not breaking any rules and not going over your visa stay I cannot see a problem.

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not using return flight to continue travelling?

Redbank you are correct if you want to return a charter flight then you must use the same airline you flew in with,But you can return on any scheduled airline.

John

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not using return flight to continue travelling?

Interesting question Matt; I've often pondered the same issue. The way you are doing it seems the most economical and gives you time to acclimatise and 'find your feet' and of course get some more accommodation etc at a sensible price and in your own time.

£300.00 for flight plus accommodation - bargain

Have a great trip, would be very interested to learn how you get on.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Not using return flight to continue travelling?

Thank you all very much for your help.

The flight is booked so we will see what happens. I also saw one for 270 pound as well. Both with Thomas Cook. I'm guessing that not that many people pay last minute for India package holidays due to visas etc so they are just trying to get whatever money they can. I'll keep you informed if we have any issues or not.

Cheers

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not using return flight to continue travelling?

When Kingfisher went bust and I had to get a one way ticket back these were my options in April last year.....

Air India back to the UK cheapest of the lot £500. Qatar £600 one way or £800 return. As I had a 12 months visa I went for the return and came back for 3 weeks in August to do some travelling across India.

There was a lot of airlines jumped on the band wagon for one way tickets to the UK as tourists were desperate to get back.

I hope when you book your return you get a good deal.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not using return flight to continue travelling?

GT when you book for a long stay do you have to state your return flight date or is it flexible as to when you return to the UK, ie depending on plane occupancy of seats?