We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Needed ( malaria tablets)

Oxford
Level Contributor
264 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help Needed ( malaria tablets)

We have been taking Paludrine/Avloclor for the last four years, and got on with them ok, OH still is, but for sum reason l am not, very bad Nightmares/Dreams and they are waking me up so consequently not getting a lot of sleep,and as we are here a long time, could anyone suggest any thing l can get from the pharmacist here that might be better. l really dont want to stop taking these but l may have to.

many thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Needed ( malaria tablets)

Can you get doxycycline in Goa? It can cause sun sensitivity and I am not a doctor/nurse but think probably your best bet. You cant get Malarone there, pharmacists will probably recommend larium but take at your own risk, I would rather risk malaria personally. www.drugs.com/sfx/lariam-side-effects.html

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Needed ( malaria tablets)

How long are you in Goa for?

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Needed ( malaria tablets)

when i did six months i went bareback...lol

i didnt take anything and neither did any of the other longstay peps that i knew

but that was my choice, goa is not a high risk area,

i now live a thousand miles south of you and when i showed my doc the pills he chucked them in the bin

now places like the gambia you are risking your life by not taking them

but again its your choice

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Needed ( malaria tablets)

with respect freakytree, Goa is now a high risk area and has the Plasmodium falciparum strain. I think a lot depends on what time you visit, in January/February for instance the risk is lower but in November soon after the monsoons and when by all accounts Goa is still getting rain, there is a much higher risk.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,008 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Needed ( malaria tablets)

What time of the day do you take your tablets? It's best to take them in a morning after food (Advice from Doctor). We do and have no problem.

Edited: 28 November 2013, 08:21
London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Needed ( malaria tablets)

They always give me bad dreams, but I just live with it. I don't get any of the dizzy fits or upset stomach that oters do, and it took me years to connect the drugs with the nightmares.

sheffield
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Needed ( malaria tablets)

I taken my docs advice and gone for larium. No ill effects yet but some interesting dreams which I forget all tooo soon!

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Needed ( malaria tablets)

yes yorki not on a empty tum,,can be a prob,,not with all tabs but the m tablets deff after a sandwich ect,,not a kingfisher ect like some I know,,lol,,,,enyway did u get the icici card,,the rupee is still going UP yorki,,mmm,,thay be a few sick one that got the cards loaded at a 100,to the pound lol

Edited: 28 November 2013, 11:12
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Needed ( malaria tablets)

I took them when I went to China, and made the mistake once of taking on an empty stomach, which made me really sick. So make sure your stomachs well lined!

Oxford
Level Contributor
264 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Needed ( malaria tablets)

Thanks every one for prompt reply, we are here till March always take them in the morning before breakfast, no other side effects but the dreams are so realistic ,but it seems all of them have some side effect, and l suppose l will have to keep taking them as l won't take the risk of getting malaria,Just come off the beach it is very quite and the weather is better today not so humid, we are off to panjim on Sunday for a Sunday picnic at the Fidalgo Hotel, food all day and the use of the pool all for 845 l will write a report next week if it is worth it .