We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help again

scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Help again

We are going to Goa first time Jan. contacted my GP re Jabs required they advised me to contact the travel clinic which I did appointment made for next week, the person I spoke to on the phone told me we required wait for it Tetnaus, poli, Hepatitis ,Typhoid, Malaria and Rabies knew we may need a few but come on not only that the cost is approx £250 each. This on top of the visa price is almost the cost of another Holiday so stressful feeling we should have stuck to Thailand. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Swinton, United...
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help again

Got all our jabs last year done by GP (practice nurse) at no cost whatsoever, Post code lottery?

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help again

Ours are all free at our surgery as well. Does your surgery not have a nurse there. If so you should ask to have them done there. Good luck.

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,031 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help again

Hi we have nevered payed for jabs but never been told to have a Rabies jab,only have to pay for Malaria tablets. Can I ask why your Dr don't deal with your jabs as I have only ever had ours from our Dr. :-)) Gel

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help again

I was under the impression if they are given here as a matter of course e.g. tetanus, polio hep they should be free, we have never paid but I do know you have to pay for the rabies one as not something expected to get in this country as a friend just had one for going to Thailand (she is staying with a hill tribe) and had to pay.

They might be charging as its travel clinic, go back to surgery and ask nurse to do them probably best bet, choose to have rabies (and pay) or not, personally we dont have the rabies jab.

I think there are some guidelines somewhere, NHS site perhaps?

Malaria you will have to pay for

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help again

Never had to pay for jabs either.

Rabies jab has never been recommended to us but I do believe from having worked in a GP surgery that the rabies jab is one of the ones that needs to be paid for.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help again

Hi g8thy, here's the Goa/India page from the NHS FitForTravel website

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/india.aspx

Regarding rabies my advise would be not to waste your money on the pre-exposure jabs. If you were to be bitten or scratched by a suspected rabid animal the usual (post-exposure) procedure is to get medical attention a.s.a.p but at least within 24hrs. And it consists of 5 injections at 1 ,3, 7, 14, & 28 or 30 days and these can be sorted very easily in Goa. And if you are coming home in the middle of the course you can buy the serum there and bring it back with you (at a fraction of the cost in UK!)

If you have the pre-exposure jabs in UK before travelling the difference is that you have up to 48hrs to get treatment and then only require 3 jabs not 5.... getting the jabs before you go does NOT give you immunity from rabies.

I speak from experience... and still have Bonzo's teeth mark in my leg.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
294 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help again

Our jabs all free at the practice nurse.

Swinton, United...
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help again

Travel clinics do charge but GP practice should sort and do at nil cost. Remember last years shortage of Typhim meant some had to go to Travel clinic as no supplies elsewhere and had to pay.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help again

NHS travel vaccination information here:

nhs.uk/Conditions/…Introduction.aspx

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help again

Forgot to say at the time I was bitten - Jan 2009 (I think) each jab in Goa cast around 500 rupees, whereas the course of pre-travel jabs in the UK would have cost around £70

Edited: 28 November 2013, 18:32