We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Cavelossim

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Cavelossim

Hi folks, have a few questions and would appreciate recommendations.

1. Is there somewhere to have leather goods made,? My firend would like to have a leather skirt made. Any specific places and ideas about cost would helpful.

2. Can you buy genuine tobacco (Golden Virginia) and cigarettes and if so where is best?

3. Can you buy Aloe Vera body lotion in Cavelossim, we like to use this instead of after sun.

4. Is there a good handbag shop..lol

After many trips to Goa getting excited about our first trip to Cavelossim and welcome any hints or suggestions

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,602 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Cavelossim

There are plenty of shops selling leather, I'm not sure where the best place to have a leather skirt made is but hopefully somebody else might know. However I can confirm there are plenty of handbag shops as I've bought several handbags back from my trips to Cavelossim. The one I bought the year before last is one I use for work every day and still going strong, it's a large Jimmy Choo bag.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 19:54
Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Cavelossim

Have a look at the bag shop opposite the Haati Mahal hotel, got loads of bags there, all different types.

Can't help with the skirt's, I've never had one made. :-)) Oh, don't smoke either......

BOB....

norfolk
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Cavelossim

1. There is a shop on the road between Dona Sylvia and Riverview restaurant that's been there for some years and has a sign saying they make leather jackets, trousers, etc. Never used them so can't vouch for quality. If you imagine coming out of Dona Sylvia main entrance then turn right and its about 5 minutes along on the left hand side in the small parade of shops.

2. There are a number of shops selling Golden Virginia, etc. Would suggest Jaes International opposite Hathi Mahal. Paid £4 for 50g packet when we were there last week and it seems fine. Also good place to change money as he gives a fair rate.

3. Sure either Watsons or De Meillos Chemist will have this.

4. As Gemma said plenty of places to buy handbags but don't forget to haggle !!

Have a great holiday, lot more Russians and Eastern Europeans in Cavelossim this year but still a great place to be and hopefully going back again in March.

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Cavelossim

Thank you all for your replies, especially Terry for the detailed info. Looks like we can get most of what we need from Jai's and De Mellos which i understand are both very close to the Haathi where we are staying. Will probably visit them our first day to stock up and then have relaxed pace over the other girly type of retail therapy!

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,602 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Cavelossim

Jai's is in the parade of shops across the main road from the HM. D'Mello's chemist is on the same side as the HM to the right & Watson's the same side to the left.

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Cavelossim

That's really helpful, thanks Gemma. At least it sounds like we shouldn't get lost..lol

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Cavelossim

How much do the leather bags tend to cost??

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,602 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Cavelossim

It all depends on the size & quality christy. I've been in most of the handbag shops in Cavelossim comparing prices & some are twice as much as others but the quality is much better. Will check how much I paid this year when I get in tonight - though that was for a medium size bag.

Edited: 05 December 2013, 09:38
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,602 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in Cavelossim

It all depends on the size & quality christy. I've been in most of the handbag shops in Cavelossim comparing prices & some are twice as much as others but the quality is much better. Will check how much I paid this year when I get in tonight - though that was for a medium size bag.

Edited: 05 December 2013, 09:38
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,602 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in Cavelossim

Copied and pasted from my trip report - handbag shopping. "After looking in most of the shops between the Mobor Beach and Luisa by the Sea I settled on the first Jimmy Choo bag I'd seen which I managed to barter down from 2400rp to 1500." Unfortunately I didn't write down where I bought it from and as I must have been in every handbag shop in Cavelossim I can't really remember!

Last year I bought a bag from a shop close to Mobor Beach Resort, I think it's called Star Rite or something like that. The price was 2200 and when I offered him 2000 he refused as said he wouldn't be making a profit at all so we settled on 2100 which is about what I wanted to pay. It's a large black Jimmy Choo bag with plenty of compartments which is just what I wanted for work and is still used daily almost 2 years later.

I must say bartering isn't my strong point so you can probably get bags cheaper than I paid and as I said before a lot depends on the quality.