We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy Malaria Tablets in resort

cardiff
Level Contributor
443 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Buy Malaria Tablets in resort

Hi

Does anyone else buy Malaria tablets when they get there? My cousin (long time visitor) gets some from Demelos (chemist in Cavelossim) when he arrives. Do you think this is a good idea?

Debbie

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy Malaria Tablets in resort

You need to start all malaria courses before you leave the UK, but having said that we always bring enough back from one trip to get started and then buy the rest when we get there. This is chloroquine and proguanil but there is lots of discussion going on that they may no longer be effective.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,869 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy Malaria Tablets in resort

I've been in discussion with MASTA this week (www.masta-travel-health.com), and they went away to check, came back and told me that Proguanil and Chloroquine ARE still recommended for Goa.

Debbie - as Jaybird says, you have to start these a week before you go, and carry on taking them for a month after you return. And note that Chloroquine on its own is NOT effective, it's only the two drugs in combination that are.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy Malaria Tablets in resort

You can purchase Chloroquine and Proguanil in Goa but the World Health Organisation no longer recommends them as effective in India and anyway you need to start them a week before you travel. You can also get mefloquine or Larium in Goa, they are very rarely prescribed here due to horrendous side effects and the USA have recently banned their troops from taking them. I dont know if you can get doxycyline in Goa, that is a antibiotic and can cause sun sensitivity. Malarone is the commonly prescribed anti malarial for Goa now but cannot be purchased there. The cheapest way to get Malarone is to buy the generic version (which is identical to the named brand) from an online pharmacy like Travelpharm.

4. Re: Buy Malaria Tablets in resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 December 2013, 15:35
Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buy Malaria Tablets in resort

Here's the India/Goa page from the NHS FitForTravel website:

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/india.aspx

It doesn't say anything about Chloroquine & Proguanil being effective or no longer effective, in fact it doesn't mention them at all.

What it does say is :

<< Check with your doctor or nurse about suitable antimalarial tablets. Atovaquone/proguanil OR doxycycline OR mefloquine is the first choice. >>

Edited: 06 December 2013, 12:48
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buy Malaria Tablets in resort

Trev it says that it is not effective against the falciparum strain of malaria, that strain is the most dangerous and is in Goa

Edited: 06 December 2013, 13:01
London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,869 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buy Malaria Tablets in resort

I've just had a quick look around for the cost of generic malarone, and it seems you can get it from a number of places online for 1.75 a tablet, which doesn't seem too bad to me. Quite a few are still charging way over £2 a tablet though, so it's obviously worth shopping around.

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buy Malaria Tablets in resort

debbi,,,,,been using the ones u bye in goa a long time ,,no probs,,,we bye a travel pack of m/l from the uk, to share at, 7 weeks supply in the box, from boots ect ,, but had a job finding a shop that had them,,this time,,,take for a week in the uk,before u go,,,finish them of in goa,, then go to the local chem and get the rest needed for the trip and the 4 weeks each at home,,there about half the pice in goa,,,,

Edited: 06 December 2013, 13:22
cardiff
Level Contributor
443 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buy Malaria Tablets in resort

I dont think I shall bother taking any tbh. They make me feel ill and give me diarrhoea :(

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buy Malaria Tablets in resort

u wont bo on yer own debbie that's for shure,,lol