We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Goa

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Goa

Hi, my husband and I are going to goa for our first time on Friday, and will be there for Christmas too.

Does anyone have any tips for us?

So excited, can't wait to go.

Thanks,

Karen

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Goa

Don't take any notice of your first impression of Goa, we all thought "Where on earth have I come". You will get used to it after a couple of days and you will then go back year after year, like we have. 15 times.

Make sure you take Malaria tabs and other protective measures.

Be cautious in the sea, there can be a strong undertow when it's rough, which it quite often.

Drink plenty of Honey Bee Brandy and Kings Lager.

Try lots of different restaurants cos the food is great and cheap.

Only use bottled water even when cleaning your teeth.

Most of all, Have a great time and let us know how you got on.

BOB....

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Goa

You haven't said where your staying, but get out and about and engage with the locals.

And like whats been said above the food is fantastic, and not just Indian food so don't worry.

Get on the beach and find your favorite shack, lots to choose from, and the shack lads will look after you while your there.

And any more questions before you go, ask away.

3. Re: First time to Goa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 11:05
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Goa

Cliftonian, stop plugging your Facebook group - It only got set up because you all said you didn't like this forum!

rastrick
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Goa

dont let first impressions,put you of its great.eat and drink at as many places you can,no matter how they look,as the foods good in most places,leather bags and jewewller are very cheap for the ladies.wear flat shoes,and unfortunately,due to some of the reports on here lately dont take a handbag out on an evening,or wear it to the inside.just enjoy !!!

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Goa

My main tip is to take a decent torch with you!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Goa

As above, but make sure its a small torch that you can take out at night, as they have regular power cuts....

My advice to any 1st timer, would be......Go with an open mind and EMBRACE all that Goa as to offer and as Bob said, once you get over the initial SHOCK, it truly is a Beautiful place......

Have a great time and hopefully you will write a great trip report on your return...... : )

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Rotherham
Level Contributor
279 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Goa

Where are you going? South and North Goa are fantastic places. North being more lively. Your first time here is in my opinion the best time. I was a little shocked when we first got here but that soon went and I was really excited. We arrived on Boxing Day our first time and stayed at the Osborne in Calengute. The smells, the sounds the lovely tropical heat, walking down the little side roads towards the beach was so exciting. Totally different to all our other holiday experiences. We loved the beach and tried different shacks until we found one we liked and we used that one for the rest of our holiday. As above take a torch, you might also need this for the power cuts, which can be funny if you're in the middle of getting ready to go out and your hair is still wet lol. Hand sanitizer is a must. You can get anything at the chemists here for really cheap price so if you get a cold or upset stomach just buy it there. I had upset stomach on our first trip but never again since. I don't think it was anything to do with the food either I think I was very dehydrated having taken a long walk down the beach that day. Lots of fabulous places to each, you meet some great people who if you decide to go back again, you will no doubt meet up with. The locals remember you from the time you came before. Everyone is very friendly. On Christmas Day, we take sweets and pens to the beach for the children. I always take an inflatable Santa and Snowman to the beach and give these to the kids as well. I am sure you will have a fab time. You will need an empty suitcase too to bring back all the lovely and unusual things you will no doubt buy either in the resorts or at one of the markets (hubby doesn't like them much but I love them). Might see you there we are flying out on 18th Dec and staying in Candolim.

Mentioned in this post
Osborne Resort Goa
Osborne Resort Goa
522 Reviews
Calangute, India
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Cleobury Mortimer...
Level Contributor
433 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Goa

Just go with the flow, Relax and enjoy, I am sure you will love Goa.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Rotherham
Level Contributor
279 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Goa

Yea some people dont see past all that. There are greedy people everywhere in holiday destinations out only for your money but there are very genuine ones too. You have to go with an open mind. Most tourists are savvy enough ti realise they are being conned and for the first timers the info they get on here is useful. Im sure you will have a great time.

Edited: 08 December 2013, 18:59