We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Margao - Shopping !

London
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Margao - Shopping !

Hi All

We are off to Cavalossim on Saturday for two weeks and would like to get the bus into Margao. Not really interested in food markets but wondered if there were any local shops or stalls that sell women's cotton clothes, i.e. the normal bright coloured dresses and trousers that you see on the stalls at the night markets in the North?

Thank you!

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Margao - Shopping !

I see those sort of clothes being sold along the streets in Colva and Majorda so you will see them I'm sure in Cavalossim. I rarely go to the markets up north now but when we did years ago the sellers from the beach and stalls in the south were all saying "Hello, remember me?"

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
3,987 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Margao - Shopping !

Margao has a fab municipal market, built during the Portuguese days. You can get everything there from fabrics to cashew nuts to suitcases to molasses to candles to cheap plastic sandals. It's not touristy though so, if the type of clothes you are referring to are beach tourist type gear, you may not do so well.

On the edge of town, near the municipal pool, is a small branch of FabIndia - they sell handweaves, cotton harem pants, cotton skirts, tops etc. Also some nice home furnishings. Worth a visit.

There are also some stalls in Cavelossim which sell some items of cotton clothing which may suit. No need to give you directions as the traders will call you over if you are within their eyesight!

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Margao - Shopping !

There are also plenty of fabric shops in Margao, should you decide that you want anything made. Head for Caro Corner, or for the shops behind the market (not in it).

I bought a load of stainless steel beakers last year as well, which worked brilliantly for parties in the garden and in our street. Better than chucking stuff away, and I think they worked out at about 20p each.

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Margao - Shopping !

Also in Margao there is a Biba shop over by the Apollo hospital, at least there was last year. Nice stuff but they follow you round that much you can't move.

Along market steet loads of shops too.

It is sprawling you will need a good few hours.

Also Big G has a good selection ofclothes.

London
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Margao - Shopping !

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Swinton, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Margao - Shopping !

And getting bus to Margao from Cavelossim is dead easy. Fairly regular in day time and quite empty at Cavelossim end. Gets very full tho. Buss back is a scrum - we wiil do Tuk Tuk back this time for the experience.

praia da Luz
Level Contributor
86 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Margao - Shopping !

I see some one has mentioned The Big G. We had one of our best meals up there on the 7th floor, its a vegetarian reastaurant called Nameste and the food was the best!! The manager ordered for us and it was just delicious, cost 605 rupees for the two of us. I can taste it now!!!!!

8. Re: Margao - Shopping !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:16