We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The road to Patnem (1)

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Topic
The road to Patnem (1)

Dear All,

Monarch LGW-GOI landed at 11:05 Sunday 15th, uneventful other than LGW has got its act together in terms of security checks and funneling all passengers through a very large duty free shop. All designed to relieve us of our hard earned, it works!

15 mins after touch down I’m one of the first to out and get hit by the twin blast of 29 degree heat and the sweet smell of aviation fuel, hello Dambolin.

Visa control was a breeze and low and behold a 5 min wait and my bag appears on the carousel, hang on this is going to be a record if I’m not careful. Stepping out into the minor scrum that is the standard taxi twirl that is Dambolin airport forecourt. I first ignore all attempts to get me to go to Bagga for ten quid. Interesting tactic this, ‘just ten pounds to Bagga’ at least a handful are bidding in my slipstream, using the UK currency to make it sound cheaper. I head off for a chat with the Cosmos reps, I ask if I can cadge a lift somewhere south? One of them is an Indian, he starts to explain they don’t go that way, his mate an English interrupts that I’m just pulling his chain. Well….you never know, don’t ask don’t get. I walk around the corner to the soft drink kiosk, to pay over the odds for a litre of water and some disgusting lime canned drink. I somehow manage to do a deal for 800rp to Patnem, that’s 75km. I think the driver realised he made a mistake but didn’t want to loose face, I actually end up giving him 1,000rps as I know what the fare is worth. Soft Newbe status shows up early.

The now familiar drive down is smooth with only one near miss, and I did say slowly, slowly when we started off. His aircon car has both windows wide open to encourage our lunges to appreciate the drifting smoke from the side of the road, and the belching fumes from the buses & Tar Tar lorries, ah India don’t you love it?

I’m on my own for the first week with Yoga girl joining me next Sunday. I will post more nonsense in the coming days about something & nothing, Unless I get really stuck on nothing. Oh, and the sun has just set leaving a pink and light orange hue in the early evening sky, the beach dogs are starting their patrol and the easy beat from one of the shacks behind is calling the smattering of beach bums (tourists) to order, I think it may be time for my first Kingfisher, ho hum.

Baresi

Travel Photography Walking Tours of Goa by Francisco de Souza
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
HoHo Goa
Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The road to Patnem (1)

Brilliant read baresi, I'm sat here reading it with a smile on my face - I was right there in the taxi with you ;-)

Looking forward to your next instalment.

England
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The road to Patnem (1)

ahh ........ you paint a great picture, we were there last year, Christmas day on the beach in Arambol, then down south to Palolem. We love the walk round to Patnem and on your advise last year visited Laguna Vista and had a great veg lunch there. Saw the place where Yoga girl had her classes, what a great setting!

Hope you have a fantastic time!

Edited: 15 December 2013, 15:43
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The road to Patnem (1)

Good read, thank you! I have enjoyed reading your posts previously and will keep an eye on this thread for all the updates. Hope it's nice and quiet there. ...

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The road to Patnem (1)

Excellent report, looking forward to your updates. Ah the smell of India nothing quite compares :0)

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The road to Patnem (1)

Thanks all,

Just re-read this post and a few spelling/grammar errors, embarrassed that Dabolim came out as Dambolin, I was very tired.

Gemma you off to Cuba? I was there in 95’ I can pm you on my thoughts or though it may have changed, however probably not as much as the free world. Cuba still pulling the tail of the tiger, ha

turkey
Level Contributor
334 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The road to Patnem (1)

what a lovely thing to read ! Im going ın 5 weeks and your report has made me all ecxcited .....keep them coming and above all else ENJOY 1

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The road to Patnem (1)

Yes Baresi I'm going to Cuba at the end of January - though reports like yours make me realise how much I'll miss Goa!

8. Re: The road to Patnem (1)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 06:20