We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brown Rice

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Brown Rice

Hi, excuse my ignorance but what other rice do they offer in restaurants other than white rice. I am unable to eat it and only eat brown at home. All the photographs I have seen of meals show white rice. Can you get brown rice with your meal?

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brown Rice

Hi

I am not sure if it qualifies as Brown Rice but the rice traditionally grown in Goa is of a brownish appearance and is still favoured by many Goan families . The reason for the white rice being the most popular in restaurants is because of the mainly European clientel who are used to the white although I believe that the Traditional Goan stuff is more nutritional. Just ask in any restaurant and they possibly will have the stuff but not put it on the menu. I would suggest that you ask for GOAN RICE not brown Rice .

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brown Rice

There is Brown rice, but few keep them

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brown Rice

Hi

Google Goan par boiled rice it is the stuff that I refered to in Post 1 .

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brown Rice

Brown rice is just white rice with the husks still on, so you get the nutrition from the whole grain. White rice doesn't have much to recommend it in nutritional terms (high on the glycaemic index, apparently, so plays havoc with your blood sugar levels), but it is seen as a better thing to eat in India because it's more expensive (I'm guessing). You can buy brown rice in the markets, but it's very cheap, and I think people might normally feed it to their animals.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Brown Rice

There is Brown rice, but few keep them.

It is just as Bruhay has described. In local language it is known as red rice. It is not polished rice.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Brown Rice

brown rice takes more time to cook and the apperance is not very Appetizing...

But if you are unwell you just boil it and have it with the water...very nutritious.

Will give you energy back...

It is called para boiled also. You need to soak it for quite a while before you cook it

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brown Rice

Try the paratas or peshwari nan breads. Garlic and butter nans etc. Instead.

I never eat rice because I am convinced it is that that gives the men big tummies.

Goa
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Siolim
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brown Rice

Hi LondonGoa–girl

At the appropriate time of the year in rural Goa you can see rice being dried at the side of the road and in many cases on the road . Most of this is Goan Rice . Where we live our next door neighbour purchases quite a few sacks of this rice then spreads a large blue heavy duty plastic sheet on the verge at the side of the road outside her property and where we stay and one by one tips the sacks of rice out and ensures that they are properly dry before storing them away ready for use.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brown Rice

As far as I know, par boiled rice is NOT brown rice. It may have a brownish appearance, but it is not the whole grain, which is what Brits mean when they say brown rice.

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brown Rice

i am curious as to why the OP cant eat white rice when it is the same as white rice with the husk still on

butterbeliever.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-…