We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch delay

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch delay

Just seen the Gatwick flight take off.12 hour delay,

John

Wirral U.K.
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch delay

Unlucky in one way. However with the EU ruling on delays they may be looking at a tidy 600 Euros each.

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch delay

We had a 23 hour delay with monarch in january 2010. They paid the compensation under the EU rule of 600 euro each and we got the cheque within 4 weeks of the claim. Very speedy. Depends tho what caused the delay. Hope it doesn't spoil anyones holiday

Canvey Island...
Level Contributor
250 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch delay

Hi June,

Just read your remarks about your delay.

My sister and her son experienced a 12 hour delay from Gatwick on the last Saturday in January 2010. The delay was caused by a passenger being taken ill on the plane and the plane was diverted plus the crew had gone over their schedule hours. No plane to take them so were put up in a hotel until there was flight.

Twice Monarch have knocked her back and she has approach the CAA again for their further comments. Bearing in mind it depends on the "cause" of the delay and exceptional circumstance's has everyone managed to get a refund from Monarch for this time of delay?

Janis.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 16:28
Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch delay

Hi Janis. Our flight was delayed 23 hours due to a technical fault and they had no other plane available. We spent the night in a hotel at Gatwick and had to wait until they could get another plane. I think passengers being taken ill would be classed as extraordinary circumstances therefore out of the airlines control so no payout but I could be wrong. Good luck to your sister anyway.

Somerset England
Level Contributor
398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monarch delay

I know its been made legal but I think this compensation idea is ludicrous

All it will achieve is higher prices for everybody else and they could take risks. Two years ago with monarch they found a leaking fuel pipe. There was a 3 hour delay while they tried to fix it. In the end we had to unload to another plane.

I would rather have safety over compensation anytime rather then take the risk and run out of fuel half way across the Arabian sea for the sake of a few hundred quid

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,010 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monarch delay

Blimey, one other threads, people have been bragging about how cheap they have been able to get charter flights for. Here, more or less everyone is gagging for compo. If it's 600€ for a long delay, and if I ran a charter airline, I would not be letting anyone fly on my aircraft for less than my minimum price PLUS the 600€ just in case the flight was delayed and I needed to pay out. If I had to sell the flights too cheap in any event, it suggests that supply is far greater than demand and I would look to cut the loss making routes. The charter airlines very quickly dropped the routes to Kerala and to other 'next big places' such as resort hotels in China when the take up was low.

Having been delayed many times on many flights to different destinations, none of which delays actually caused me any significant loss nor to miss connecting flights or weddings or funerals, I am not comfortable with the particular case law as it presently stands. It does not bode well for the future of reasonably priced air travel and I would rather have the option of reasonably priced travel than the lottery option of an almost refund because a flight was late. Anyone who disagrees should perhaps ask their insurance broker how much it would cost them to write up an individual policy to insure for 600€ to be the prize for a, say, 12 hour delay. It would not be likely to be a cheap or affordable insurance quotation.

600€ may be a nice prize, but not if it signals the death knell of future affordable travel.

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monarch delay

@londonraffles. I do agree with most of your comments but we only went for one week. Can't remember the cost but ended up only getting 5 and a half days holiday instead of 7. So IMO opinion I lost out quite a bit even after getting compo. I had to use 7 days of my annual holiday entitlement which obviously I could not get back and lost one and a half days of my week's holiday. I think if I had been going for two or more weeks I would not have felt so bad about losing nearly a quarter of my holiday. Just my opinion.

Canvey Island...
Level Contributor
250 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monarch delay

Hi June

Thanks for your comments. My sister also booked for a week and it was a surprise for me as I was celebrating my birthday in Goa and it was the first time that I celebrated by birthday abroad. My sister has not flown since 1985 when we went to Kenya, her husband will not fly!!!!!She wasn't after compo it was me who told her about it and that's why she made the enquiry.....Like June she lost out.............1st trip in since 1985 and this happened. We finally met up at Castlehouse and she loved GOA and we made sure that her and son did as much as possible.

She would love to go back and perhaps one day she will. We are not going next year but will return again hopefully 2015.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!I

Janis & Steve.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 21:10
Somerset England
Level Contributor
398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monarch delay

my point exactly

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monarch delay

That's a preety bad lcuk don't know what to say. ANyway come to tGoa and Enjoy the christams party.