We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dona Sa Maria - Tamborim/Cavellosim

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dona Sa Maria - Tamborim/Cavellosim

We are going to this hotel shortly and after reading the last 2 reviews am seriously worried I have made a mistake.

I am wondering whether to book a hotel elsewhere though we have already paid for this hotel?

Can anyone reassure/advise me?

Thanks

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dona Sa Maria - Tamborim/Cavellosim

It's not the best of hotels but your not there for the hotel ? Cavalossim is a short taxi ride away which is where we spent a lot of time .

The hotel for us is just somewhere to sleep and the dona is ok for that take a torch with you as the nearest bars are a walk down an unlit road away .

You will find a lot of the guests are frequent returnees to this hotel and they view it through rose tinted glasses .

Just check your room bill frequently and enjoy the great beach .

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dona Sa Maria - Tamborim/Cavellosim

Not stayed there was in a guest house next door used the bar and was invited to use the pool by the owner who runs it with his wife nice friendly couple, Its a basic hotel a bit remote good beach and local bus available to go into Cavellosim depends what you expect for the price you paid. I would go and move if you don't find it acceptable

sheffield
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dona Sa Maria - Tamborim/Cavellosim

I stayed there for my first trip to Goa. It was a cheap place and there were many Brits staying there. I dare say it will have changed since the time I first visited (18 yrs ago). Serafino and Puri(who used to own the place) also used to have a couple of apartments across the road and outside the hotel compound. I preferred these as I did not have to rub shoulders with the rather narrow-minded Brits who were there at the time!

You'll need plenty of mozzie spray as the place is close to open fields.

You might enjoy crossing the river Sal and exploring along the coast on the other side (further south). You will discover a totally different Goa and might be tempted to stay!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dona Sa Maria - Tamborim/Cavellosim

We just want a base that is clean and are happy with walking into the nearest village for meals etc...should be ok in that case....as you say we will move if it is unbearable!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dona Sa Maria - Tamborim/Cavellosim

Thanks for your reply....I was just looking at a hotel in between Palolem and Patnem, thinking of maybe going down there for a few days to break up the holiday and see somewhere new, we have been to Cavellosim a few times so it would be a change of scene!

sheffield
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dona Sa Maria - Tamborim/Cavellosim

I'd check on this website before booking there. I can recommend going to Agonda. You can still get to Palolem/Patnem easily from there.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,710 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dona Sa Maria - Tamborim/Cavellosim

ahar, it looks to me as though the last 2 reviews were from the same couple - husband and wife - so personally I'd take them as one review. The other negative review posted recently only paid £308 for the holiday - I'd be happy to have a flight only at that price.

I can't comment on the hotel as I've never stayed there, but I know roughly where it is and it would be too far out for me as I like being in the centre of Cavelossim. As you've already paid you might as well go there and give it a try - there are plenty of positive reviews as well as the few negative ones.

sheffield
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dona Sa Maria - Tamborim/Cavellosim

I don't know which reviews you are referring to Gemma but I notice there is another negative one this morning.

Perhaps they have a point?

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dona Sa Maria - Tamborim/Cavellosim

The three main positive's for the DSM are Quiet location, Swimming pool and Price, we paid 800 Rps a night about 18 months ago which was about £10 at the time

We had a car so been remote didn't matter to us, the pool was great and the price was a result as the rooms where OK certainly no worse then other places we have stayed at down that way

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,710 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dona Sa Maria - Tamborim/Cavellosim

Music the last 2 reviews posted 3 and 4 days ago are from 2 people who are both from Malvern and both have a surname beginning with H. They both mention the rubbish bread at breakfast and the cheapo jam and also both have the same complaint about the pool - which is why I think they were there together. I'm not saying that the complaints aren't valid and they are entitled to post separate reviews but I do sometimes wonder what some people expect for a cheap b&b in Goa. There are more positive reviews than negative reviews about the hotel and 79% of the reviewers have said they'd stay there again. There are 3 terrible reviews and 44 excellent so the majority of people that stay there seem happy with it. As I said before I haven't stayed there so am not really qualified to comment but when I'm reading the reviews I tend to take a middle line between the excellent and terrible reviews.

If you do decide to go ahead and stay there ahar please come back and let us know what you think.