We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Several questions, help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Several questions, help!

Hello guys,

I have quiet a few questions and would love if you can help me.

1) I would like to rent a small scooter there. Do I need any special license?

2) I have heard that taking malaria tablets kinda changes your digestive system and you stay with diarrhea. I must admit i don't have the best digestive system so I am quiet worried with this. Plus all those currys... Do you guys have any digestive system regulation tablets that you can advise? I really don't wanna go to Goa, and spend most of my time in the toilet :)

3) I am about to book the flight or from 16/02 to 17/03 or from 01/03 to 01/04. The the weather really change in March? should go for the first option?

4) Any suggested itinerary ? One month is a lot, and i am afraid i will get bored.

5) It seems that the price of the huts is a lot more expensive when i search them online. I hear most of you saying that get loads of bargains such as 400/600 a night. I can't seem to find anything below 800 rp. Should I just discuss the price when i get there? Any recommendations? Btw do I need to bring a locker for the beach huts?

I have a lot more to ask but i don't wanna intimidate you guys.

cheers

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Several questions, help!

almost every question has previously been dealt with

try using the search facility.. its not too boring

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Several questions, help!

Thanks for your help.

1st - re the scooter, i am non Uk citizen. so the rules in there don't apply to me and I can't seem to find an answer on the portuguese website.

2nd re malaria tablets and diarrhea. I havent found any article talking about this.

regarding the others, you may be right.

cheers anyway

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Several questions, help!

lol pedrone, the malaria tablets is one of the most talked about subjects

but i dont blame you for not understanding...i was there for six months and never took them

but that was my choice others will jump up and down saying you must, i suggest you ask your doctor

the scooter, well enquire at your post office about an international driving license, again you could take the chance...lol.... but you really should try and get insured to drive in india, because trust me it is no mean feat driving on this continent, because you must always assume the other driver is an idiot, because he is, forget any rules your father may have taught you about driving, non of them apply here, and if that wasnt bad enough for you, they drive on the left... why not just try the three wheeled taxi's called tuc-tuc's goodluck my friend

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,167 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Several questions, help!

Hi and welcome to the forum, You need to see your practice nurse about malaria prevention, neither myself or my husband have ever had a stomach problem with them but we always take them with food. Malarone are best and have the least side effects but also the most expensive. The cheapest way to buy them is to get the generic version online. I would go on the first option on dates, it gets very humid the nearer it gets to the monsoon and things start to wind down a bit in April. I think you will get bargains on the beach huts going towards the end of the season. Wouldnt get on a bike but I think there are also issues in going from one state to another and I think in a month you would be wanting to travel further afield, probably into Karnataka, maybe somebody can help you on that.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Several questions, help!

Pedro - a few threads on 'Malaria':

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g306995-i9760-k7…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297605-i9001-k7…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297606-i9537-k7…

Taking Malaria tablets never gave me diarrhea - they did make me feel slightly queasy though.

Best advice re malaria is to talk to your doctor.

I've never had a really bad upset tummy.

I don't eat a lot of shellfish, I drink plenty of water.

If I feel I'm a little 'loose' (sorry, TMI LOL), I take a couple of Loperomide tablets. You can get them from any chemist for just a few rupees.

Of course, if symptoms are severe or persistent you should see a doctor.

What have you decided to do about your visa?

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Several questions, help!

ped some help. www.goabeachhuts.com/palolembeachhuts.htm

nhs.uk/conditions/…introduction.aspx

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297604-i6045-k6…

hope some help but do take the m tables after food have fun// bye

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Several questions, help!

take an UDP , if not ,license . you'll be unlucky to get stopped . if you do 100 rps will get you a pass lol . if you go thru a checkpoint don't look at them just keep driving ha

eat in clean places , use bottle water , keep mouth closed in shower , wash hand before eating , keep fingers out of mouth in days . that will mi imise toilet issues lol

you won't get bored I'm a month , especially having bike . so much to see and do

don't get bit , don't get malaria . carry deet , leave bottles in bike too so you always have it for sunset whenever u end up somewhere . bites this last month are 2 .

get a few nites booked and when you get there there will be tons of.cheap rooms you just walk up that are from 300 up in arambol , 500 up in anjuna . if you don't mj d a bamboo hut on a beach with shared toilet . a guest house would be several hundred if you want basic .

you'll have a blast . writing fro. beach In anjuna can't see screen sorry some sp mistakes

cheers WWW.tharobster.WordPress.com

Edited: 10 January 2014, 08:32
Shimla, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Several questions, help!

please recommend more peaceful quiet clean beaches for couple to spend romantic time ......

should go for Ashvem arambol side or south goa beaches......

where no oogling.....nobody to disturb

more foreigner less indians

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Several questions, help!

foreiners can oogle too...lol

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Several questions, help!

yes , some of the Russians are very Oogable .