We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malarone

dartford kent
Level Contributor
135 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Malarone

Where's cheapest place to buy Malarone . Bought it from Asda last time 40 quid each for a week

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malarone

Hi

Generic version now available

Try travelpharm, there are other sites too, have a look on google for atovaquone-and-proguanil

travelpharm.com/malaria-prevention-c165/atov…

sheffield
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malarone

Larium is much cheaper but has side-effects ... weird dreams which I've been enjoying recently!

... and no, I can't tell you more.

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malarone

Doxycycline 100mg Single Capsules are so cheap when compared with malarone and P/A.

anyone had good results taking doxycycline? i mean if they have had any huge side effects?

from my accounts doxycycline for a month in goa would cost me around £35 and £80 if its P/A.

any massive difference?

sheffield
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malarone

Larium cost me about £40 for 19 tabs. i will have been in Goa twice with 4 weeks in between visits. 6 weeks in the area in total so for many folk larium would be cheaper.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 23:38
London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malarone

but isn't larium a tablet per week? how come do you have 19 tablets?

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malarone

Talk to your Doctor or practice nurse to see what they recommend for you, as nobody on here knows your medical history.

I don't take anything but do take other precautions ie Odomos which works for me, no bites over 3 weeks in December

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malarone

Not even I know my medical history...

i think im gonna go with Larium, for a total of 4 weeks it will cost me 25 quid.. that is alright i think :)

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
175 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malarone

I took doxycycline for 4 weeks. It worked well, no side effects, and I am also convinced it's why we didn't get sick the whole time, it's a mild antibiotic so maybe kills any bad bugs that get in your system. That's based on zero scientific evidence other than my own experience.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malarone

before you go with Larium pedro, check out the horrendous side effects, there can be permanent psychotic problems caused by Larium, you should never take them without a doctors recommendation, getting malaria may be a better option. Doxycyline can cause sun sensitivity and you must stand or sit upright for half an hour after taking them or they can cause severe indigestion (as my mother found out to her cost last week after taking one and sitting in an armchair waiting TV).

sheffield
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malarone

pedro, firstly my doctor prescribed me larium after advising me of the options and asked me to inform him of any side effects I experienced during the initial period.

And my memor served me badly ... it was 17 tablets not 19!

I have so many tablets (and it is one per week) because I planned 2 trips. 3 tabs for the period before I left, 2 tabs for my first trip, 4 for the after trip (which also served as prep for the second trip), 4 for the second trip and 4 for the period after the trip.