We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varifocals for the 1st time.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Varifocals for the 1st time.

I went to my opticians for an eye test so I can take my new prescription.to Romanos in Calangute and treat myself to some designer specs.

My new prescription is for varifocals and I have never worn them before

I hear it can be a struggle to get used to.

I'm not sure now whether to get my glasses here to get used to them and just get a new pair of prescription sunglasses in Goa. I was going to get both pairs in Goa.

I fly out in April for 3 weeks.

I've found an OK pair in Specsavers in the £69 frame range and with a voucher from work Specsavers have quoted £114 to include the premium Varifocal lense and 30% thinner.

I'm not sure what to do for the best.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Varifocals for the 1st time.

Surely that decision can only be made by you.

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varifocals for the 1st time.

I agree with bindoo.

Or why not get them now in the uk and if you like them you can get more when in goa. My varifocals with the lenses and frames and anti scratch and anti glare only cost 35 pounds in goa. I use danguis in calangute.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
315 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varifocals for the 1st time.

I went over to them a few years ago and they took me about a month to get used to - you have to sort of retrain your eyes and how you look at things - couldn't do without them now and like June I use Danguis. It may be worth hanging on until you get there and get them cheaper because not everyone can get on with them.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
803 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Varifocals for the 1st time.

I went over to varifocals for the first time whilst in Goa in November. We went to Dangui this time and I got a pair of clear glass varifocals for the wife at £40 and I got a pair of reactolite varifocals with a designer frame for £80. They do take a bit of getting used to and like everyone says down to you whether you would sooner get used to them here or wait till you get to Goa.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Varifocals for the 1st time.

I had to start wearing varifocals for the first time 2 years ago i took me a few weeks to get used to them. I pick up a new air today but i am going to have another pair made out in goa as back up much cheaper than the offer at spec savers

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
601 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Varifocals for the 1st time.

I got my first pair of varifocals and expected a problem and I was fine with them. When I went to get my second pair (as prescription had changed) I had my eyetest free at Specsavers as I use a PC for work and got a voucher but I then purchased my specs at a local opticians where the quality of the frame was better.

Well, when I picked them up I felt like I had vertigo and spent the whole weekend trying to get used to them but didn't and felt quite nauseous. I went back to place where I bought the glasses from - they said they couldn't say what the problem is without testing my eyes, i.e. whether it was prescription or glasses but they said they had been made up correctly. So after paying for another eye test this optician told me that although the prescription wasn't strictly incorrect the reading range had changed quite a bit and it wasn't a good idea to make them up to such a drastic change and they agreed to remake my glasses at something in the middle. When I got these ones I was fine. However, it does beg the question over whether it is a good idea to get glasses made up somewhere different to having prescription done as it was only the kindness of the optician that agreed to replace lenses - they had made up prescription correctly so I would say buyer beware.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
315 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Varifocals for the 1st time.

That is a really good point Daisy - had the same problem a few years ago when I took my UK prescription out there - when the glasses were made I thought I had been on an all nighter honeybee frenzy - Dangui then sent me to his ophthalmologist across the road and redid them on that prescription and they were absolutely fine. So if your going to get them made out there I would suggest taking your UK prescription then get a comparable test done - only cost me 100INR for the test

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Varifocals for the 1st time.

.I didn't like varifocals and went back to bi-focals

I am sure they can use your prescription what ever you choose but if they can't a test here is only 200 rps thats if they charge you

Cheaper and better in Goa, you can get one of each here for the UK cost of varifocals

Edited: 28 January 2014, 13:35
london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Varifocals for the 1st time.

My Husband has to have Virifocals, he could not get on with them so he now buys two pairs of frames, one for reading and one for seeing, we take the Frames to Dangui every year and he makes them up with the prescription obtained from Specsavers.:-)) Gel

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Varifocals for the 1st time.

I believe the "ophthalmologist across the road" is Dr Grace Lobo. She tested my eyes in the old fashioned way (I'm old fashioned too so it suited me). I only wanted reading glasses, I too believe the eye test cost me Rps 100, although I believe it has now gone up to the exorbitant price of Rps 150! I went back to Dangui and and where they had told me that they would reduce the cost of the glasses by the amount I'd paid Dr Lobo for the test they actually gave me the same discount against two pairs of glasses.

I had a free eye test in Boots about two months ago I took Dr Lobo's prescription and Dangui glasses with me, after the test the ophthalmologist said there was no need to change my prescription and the glasses I bought from Dangui were "sound as a pound".

A few years ago I had an eye test in Specsavers, they tried to push me for varifocals and after the test I was sat down in a chair and they put a set of lenses in a heavy metal frame and asked me to look on the floor and focus on the carpet. When I looked at the carpet I felt like I was sea-sick and had to pull them away from my head. I refused to purchase varifocals and only opted for reading glasses. The shop assistant was quite miffed.

Dr Lobo from Mapusa said I didn't need glasses for anything other than reading and the ophthalmologist at Boots concurred. So in my instance "I shouldn't have gone to Specsavers"

Edited: 28 January 2014, 15:48