We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more for fun (& idea's) what to pack?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,533 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
more for fun (& idea's) what to pack?

Right folks!

Just to give all a idea, espcially for us newbies, who don't have a clue (me!)

How much clothing, what type? do you pack for 2 wks/3wks Airlines are getting so uppity on overweight luggage and making a fortune from us all! as if we didn't pay them enough for our hols!!! My aim is to pack light, Linen Trousers for night, with various tops & long sleeve shirt /blouse, daytime shorts & vest tops, flip flops, canvas shoes etc etc

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: more for fun (& idea's) what to pack?

Pack light and don't pack white! All your white stuff will end up covered in red dust!!

No high heels, pot holes and uneven pavements can be quite dangerous :0)

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: more for fun (& idea's) what to pack?

Pack very light!

I used to wear crops but now take long dresses - the casual type that you'd wear round town on a summer afternoon.

I don't take anything long-sleeved.

Canvas shoes may get spoilt by the red dust/sand.

I wear Crocs for the beach and cheap, flat sandals at night.

I can scrub both when we get home.

One thing I won't do without is my hat.

ETA

I don't take any bikinis with white in them.

They seem to go discoloured and it's definitely not the suncream I use as I don't have a problem in Greece or Turkey.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 11:44
manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: more for fun (& idea's) what to pack?

Pack for hot sunny days and warm nights with flat comfortable shoes/sandles.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,533 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: more for fun (& idea's) what to pack?

Aw Mulzy!

I love my linen bottoms, will maybe get crop ones in white and pack them in a vac bag,

Prettypollycat,

The Canvas shoes are from Primarni (primark lol) so not expensive, will have cheap sandals/flipflops too!

Bin,

That is my intention, hoping to buy some goodies over there lol

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: more for fun (& idea's) what to pack?

Sunbabe, you might only get to wear them once don't under estimate how much the red dust can wreck your whites!! Seriously even after washing my bikinis that just had a hint of white in them, they were ruined! Don't know if that is from the water after washing them or the sand and sea combo or just the red dust floating about in the air?

I tended to wear jeans at night and even then the hotel dog came to say Hello and didn't pre warn me she had just had a bath in the red dust puddle!! However in Agonda I just wore my shorts at night, so laid back :0)

Edited: 02 February 2014, 12:05
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,533 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: more for fun (& idea's) what to pack?

Mulzy,

I see what you mean honey, will wear jeans or cargo, crops but not white, no point in ruining them ! i have black linen trousers too, but will maybe give them a miss as well Thanks

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: more for fun (& idea's) what to pack?

Sunbabe

As you're a first-timer pack very, very lightly.

You'll (probably) come back with carved elephants, bedspreads, pashminas, sarongs and Heaven-knows what else.

And that's BEFORE you start on the handbags, tailored clothes, glittery sandals, fake Crocs, herbs/spices and - my own personal favourite - jewellery! LOL

What's your allowance?

Be warned that they can be pretty hot on overweight luggage on your return flight.

We are usually just under our limit of 20kg pp but we take about 8 paperback books and all our own suncream & toiletries so that gives me space for anything I buy.

You can buy toiletries there but OH has sensitive skin so I like to take what he's used to.

SUNCREAM:

I would recommend you take it with you.

Lots of reports of fake ones and people getting sunburned when they thought they were OK.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: more for fun (& idea's) what to pack?

Another reason to avoid white is the likelihood of dropping a delicious curry all over them!! And good advice from PPC, you will buy loads on your first visit especially if you go and visit the markets and the bag man!!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,533 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: more for fun (& idea's) what to pack?

Mulzy,

Got my eye on the Radley stall at Anjuna market already lol must see if i can get more than 5kgs hand baggage, that's all TC are allowing :-((

Can see me being beach bum with 3 prs crops & 6 multi use tops for 2 wks with a pr of cargo's thrown in! must keep room for the goodies lol

Edited: 02 February 2014, 12:43
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,533 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: more for fun (& idea's) what to pack?

Prettypollycat,

20kgs each (well 10 for bob, 30 for me lol) he is the type that reckons he could fill his rucksack and live out of that! very mimilast is he!