We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow fever jab

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Yellow fever jab

I'm just wondering if you still need the yellow fever jab to travel to India and does anyone know the cost of it! My doctor is saying you need it but my mums doctor is saying you don't, don't wanna pay out for it if you don't need it for the sake of getting it!

england
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow fever jab

You do need to seek the advice of your doctors, and not the forum advice on this, however I have never known people need the yellow fever jab for india. I had this a few years back when visiting Kenya, and had to be done at a private clinic. It lasts roughly ten years, think paid 40 pounds, but guessing would be more now, but can't put a price on your health.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow fever jab

I've never had to have a yellow fever jab for India. As far and I know, and I'm not a doctor, you only need one if you have recently been in a yellow fever zone

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow fever jab

LondonGoa-girl is correct, you only need it if you have recently been to an area where there is yellow fever, we went to kenya once and needed the certificate we had had the jab to show when we entered India.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow fever jab

NATHNAC & Fitfortravel are 2 good websites for medical information.

My practice nurse uses Fitfortravel.

I usually check up what vacs are recommended before I go to see her so we can have a discussion if we are not in agreement.

What Fitfortravel says about Yellow fever is this:

<<

Yellow fever vaccination certificate requirements for India are specific and quite lengthy; read the full details via the WHO website (external weblink).>>

I've never had a Yellow Fever vac for a visit to Goa (or anywhere else in the world) and my practice nurse has never even mentioned it.

I would be asking my GP why he thinks I need a Yellow Fever vaccination.

I disagree with having vaccinations that aren't recommended for where I'm travelling to.

But don't take the word of strangers on a public forum.

Go back to your GP and discuss it - armed with your own research into the need for this vaccination.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow fever jab

Thanks for your help though, with two different doctors saying the opposite to each other I thought I'd see if anyone actually had it for a holiday to goa as my doctor (who said yes) went through a website or book to list off jabs I needed

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow fever jab

Link to what Fitfortravel says about yellow fever:

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/advice/…yellow-fever.aspx

It starts by saying:

<<Yellow fever is found only in parts of Central and South America and Sub-saharan Africa >>

so it makes little sense to me that you'd need vaccination for Goa unless you'd told your GP that you'd recently been in those areas - exactly as Dragonfli & LGG say.

Or perhaps your GP is confused about where Goa exactly is....?

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellow fever jab

nott ,,do what YOUR doc says,,but it looks like its Africa that's the prob,,,,,a few other things to look out for when your there,,,,lol,,,have fun,,bye..... http://www.goacom.com/travel-advisory-goa

8. Re: Yellow fever jab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 06:19