We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goa Taxi Strike Continuing on Tuesday

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Goa Taxi Strike Continuing on Tuesday

My local taxi driver has just told me that the strike is continuing today. You may find this article interesting oheraldo.in/News/…85819.html

Goa, India
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Goa Taxi Strike Continuing on Tuesday

Yes. Taxis are almost all off the road again. It got pretty nasty at times yesterday and threatens to get even nastier today. Very sad.

mansfield
Level Contributor
204 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goa Taxi Strike Continuing on Tuesday

Yes a bit of a nuisance been trying to get to ashwen for a couple of days don't know how people who are going to airport coping one thing I have noticed loads of buses as many as three at a time coming down the road together

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goa Taxi Strike Continuing on Tuesday

Copied and pasted from the FCO website...

Summary

Still current at: 25 February 2014

Updated: 25 February 2014

There is an ongoing strike by taxi drivers in Goa. The strike is affecting travel in and around Goa, including on the road to the airport and around major hotels. Monitor the media for the latest information, avoid areas where protests are reported to be taking place and adhere to any instructions issued by the local authorities. Allow more time than usual to travel to the airport

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goa Taxi Strike Continuing on Tuesday

Oh dear. I am just about to take someone to the airport in a dodgy Scorpio that has been breaking down. If it does how do we get them there with all the luggage?

In this case I am on the side of the taxi drivers. Every family has a taxi driver, be it cousin or otherwise. It is a means of providing for the family where there are poorly paid jobs anyway. Maybe someone as a vested interest in outside taxi firms and that outweighs the Goan need.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
9,757 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goa Taxi Strike Continuing on Tuesday

Very Unfortunate....dampening spirits of visitors to Goa....Feeling Sad...

My empathies

CarLink

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goa Taxi Strike Continuing on Tuesday

that may be the case Goatravellers and although I agree with you in theory, the taxi drivers have just got too greedy. We use taxi's as little as possible, if we cant walk, we will get the bus, taxi is a last resort

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,350 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goa Taxi Strike Continuing on Tuesday

We used to use the taxi's quite a lot.

Because of the taxi mafia fixing the inflated prices, we decided on our last couple of visits to hire a scooter. we only use the taxi's to and fro the airport now.

They are their own worst enemy in my opinion.

No sympathy here.

BOB....

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goa Taxi Strike Continuing on Tuesday

so bob,, you would like to see the Russian taxis in goa,,,,its a comp call, olga,,that's making a few probs,,and girl taxi drivers no probs, deff,,lol,,,150,from mapleys bar // that's by the kamat hotel,// down to the public bar ,,is ok for me, gas has gone up thay were charging ,50 rupees 18 years ago so ,150,rupees ,seen ok, food ect,up a bit sin 96,,lol,,,and 100 for a rickshaw,to me that's not greedy,,taxi mafi lol,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BAZZ

Edited: 25 February 2014, 17:14
Harlow, England...
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goa Taxi Strike Continuing on Tuesday

Yes, totally agree....taxi drivers are just too greedy. We only use a taxi to get to and from the airport because we were fed up at being ripped off all the time. We have no sympathy for them.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,350 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goa Taxi Strike Continuing on Tuesday

Actually Bazz, it's academic as far as I'm concerned, I probably won't be going back to Goa. Already booked for Cuba next year. Not just because of the Taxi's, more because I don't like playing second fiddle to another nationality.

BOB....