We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Price Fare Increase (2014)

Goa
Level Contributor
909 posts
Save Topic
Taxi Price Fare Increase (2014)

Just seen in the news "New tariffs fixed for taxis in state"

I wonder how much more taxi's will charge. Here are the current rates (until after the elections)

poipleshadow.com/Goa-Taxi-Airport-Price-List

when the new ones will be agreed on (according to the article). News Story regarding price changes below..

…indiatimes.com/city/…32451486.cms

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Price Fare Increase (2014)

Many thanks for the info, will be intrested to see how much the Taxi fares will rise to. :-)) Gel

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Price Fare Increase (2014)

What ever the official fares will be, take it for granted, that it will be doubled in the Candolim, Calangute area.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Price Fare Increase (2014)

I've always had the impression that taxi fares are decided on the basis of think of a number double if and add a random amount on ?

Wirral U.K.
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Price Fare Increase (2014)

Yep thats definately how they do it.

Also they use the formula "How much can I steal off these stupid foreigners"

Goa
Level Contributor
909 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Price Fare Increase (2014)

Gayle and Ianmac11's post made me smile, then frown as I realised how true they were!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Price Fare Increase (2014)

The only time I use a taxi in Goa is transit too and from the airport, the rest of the time I prefer to walk, or jump on a bus, I know that a lot of us think the same, the taxi drivers have ruined it for themselves by being so greedy.

You cant seem to get it into their thick heads that they would be far better off doing 20 taxi rides a day at 100rps rather than sitting for hours at a time with the occasional 300rps taxi fare.

I won't even ask them their fare anymore because I can not be bothered haggling over a taxi fare, when a bus is fare 10-15rps. The bus or shanks pony always win, out of principle not being tight with my money.

Goa
Level Contributor
909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Price Fare Increase (2014)

Taxi Price increase News...

From a couple of days ago...

www.epaperoheraldo.in/Details.aspx…

Although I couldn't find the story in any of the other papers.. Anyone know if / when it's going to be enforced?

Goa
Level Contributor
909 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Price Fare Increase (2014)

They have changed the board in Mapusa regarding the new fares.. So I presume they are being enforced everywhere.....

London, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Price Fare Increase (2014)

This is a complete dogs dinner. How is at ourist going to know, how many kilometes and wether the car is basic or luxursy etc.. , for example Calungute Circle to Candolim is 2km, at most 3 Km, but I bet they will default to 5Km and charge 300 Rs. plus 100 extra after 10 pm, so 400 Rs. Buses are OK for daytime but stop after 7.00 pm. I hope the auto rickshaw are more reasonable.

They should post prices at all major tourist centres like Calungute, Candolim , Anjuna, etc.. so tourist know , roughly how many kilometers.

London
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Price Fare Increase (2014)

NOTHING has changed. You are in Candolim, you want to go to Calangute . You walk up to a taxi (which is unmetered), and say Calangute 200 R. If the driver says yes, get in, If he says No, then don't. Its the same as it always is.

The only times this will change is if you are doing an airport trip.