We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typhoid vaccine shortage

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Typhoid vaccine shortage

Hi all

Just to let you know that there appears to be a shortage of typhoid vaccine again.

We had ours yesterday in oral form, taken 3 times on alternate days. The injections have to be kept for children under 6 years of age so we have to take it orally. The nurse said they only have a few packs left in the fridge and it's a countywide problem. Obviously I can only comment on the county I live in but just saying, if you need the typhoid booster this year, maybe check with your practice and get it done sooner rather than later.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,008 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typhoid vaccine shortage

Wife told at our GP's last week that vaccine will be available for her in December. Last year had to take tablets.. We'll see what happens come December.

Level Contributor
253 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typhoid vaccine shortage

Situation just the same as last year then.

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typhoid vaccine shortage

we had to take tabs2yrsago. But we managed to get the vaccine done last November. ..our practice nurse sAid it depends which area you live in, and how many your practice orders,as to wnhether they have enough to give out...

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Typhoid vaccine shortage

we had no problem getting them just before our trip in January. I rang the practice and spoke to the nurse before I booked appointmens and she said what shortage, very strange.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typhoid vaccine shortage

It's not strange, they call it a National Health Service but each area has it's own methods of running it.

That's why in some areas you can't get certain drugs on the N H S, but move across to a neighbouring health authority you can, the same with OP's.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Typhoid vaccine shortage

Yorkie, I was told 2 weeks ago to come back in October for the injection (for our November trip). When I mentioned I was concerned about a possible shortage as I know this has happened before, I was assured that they had plenty of vaccine.

Badger saw the nurse Friday for something else and asked about the booster. She had a slot free half hour later so we filled in the obligatory travel forms and were seen. It was then that we were told about the short supply. I hasten to add, that this was the same nurse who had told me 2 weeks ago to come back in October as there would be plenty of vaccine!!!

Just saying, you may not know the real situation until you are actually booked in to get it done.

PS. Thank you for the back-up Phil.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 12:46
Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,008 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Typhoid vaccine shortage

Wouldn't be surprised Meerkat if she ends up in the same situation. Think I'm ok for another year yet ,but not100% so I'll not get smug .

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Typhoid vaccine shortage

But that doesnt make sense Phil, if the nurse said it was a countrywide problem when obviously it is not. Are they available privately in these areas I wonder.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Typhoid vaccine shortage

Hi dragonfli

If you re-read my original post I said countywide ... Not countrywide.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Typhoid vaccine shortage

sorry Meerkat, did misread, I have googled it and it seems it is nationwide though, what I cant understand is my practice nurse didnt know anything about it, but then again she said we didnt need antimalarials for Goa