We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed.

west midlands
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice needed.

We have 3 children age 7,4 and 1 and are thinking of holidaying in Goa, we are going with my parents who have been before but I'm unsure whether this would be a good place to go with such young children. I know that it's a long flight but they have done long haul before so think they would be ok but its everything else really. So any advice greatly appreciated x

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed.

Hi Cupc4kes

I think the fact you are asking the question on here shows that you have reservations yourself about taking your children at such young ages. There are many factors other than the long flight that need to be taken into consideration; other than the usual things like the hot climate, the very rough sea, hygiene and possible food issues with youngsters. Careful consideration needs to be given to the fact that anti-malaria medication and innoculations will be needed for the children. This alone can cause problems.

They are your children and it's your choice but if I was asked personally if I would take children of the same ages, my answer would be a resounding no. There will probably be other members who disagree.

But, like I said, at the end of the day it's your and your family's decision. Just take all the factors into consideration. And good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 13:09
west midlands
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed.

To be honest Meercat I'm not 100% convinced that I actually want to go but I just wanted really to get a feel of whether other members had been and taken children of that age and what experiences they had. My parents have been before so I want to at least of given it consideration, if that makes sense. I value your opinion

Harlow, England...
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed.

My answer would me No....I also have 4 grandchildren aged 10, 7 and 2 five year olds. We have been going to goa for the past 16 years and would love to take them out there. Problem is, there is not a lot for them to do. It is very hot, the sea is rough...even to paddle is scary sometimes. We have just returned from a week in majorca. So different...entertainment for children at the pool...the sea was safe and shallow. The weather was hot, but not as hot as India. I would say wait until they are older.....which is what I am doing.....hopefully they will then love it as we do......It is much more suited to adults I think.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed.

I have to agree as well. To be honest, I would not want to give young children antimalarials, they are not good for you and it seems selfish to subject them to something for your enjoyment as children would be much happier in Majorca as Janis says.

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed.

Hello - I have taken my girls to India twice, we spend over 4 months there, 2 of which were in Goa. The first time we went they were 3 & 2 the next time they were 5 & 3. I didn't give them any anti-malaria tablets, after doing extensive research (there is also lots of advice here on trip advisor on how to avoid bites) and my 2 had no vaccinations on advice from masta.

Did they enjoy it - oh yes! They had a fantastic time and we are going back in Feb when they will be 10 & 8!! We can't wait!! Goa is a gentle introduction to the rest of India, it is beautiful and if you travel away from the coastal areas you can experience a lot of culture. You can stay in some really lovely places, the locals love children and you will be amazed at the number of people who do take young children - especially europeans. The sea can be rough, depending on the time of year, but some beaches are more sheltered than others but you can stay in some lovely places that have fantastic swimming pools.

Neither of my children were ill and we did eat in some surprisingly dodgy (on advice) looking places, but they were very fussy and you can easily get chips, pasta, chicken nuggets (which are freshly made!) most of the restaurants and hotels have european options and you would be surprised at the number of English, French and Italian places plus in certain areas McDs & Dominos :( So really food is NOT an issue with the children.

Of course there is a health risk in India, but, to a lesser extent, so is there in Majorca (a friend and her son were exceptionally ill after a water borne bug contracted in Majorca, a place they often visited!) and really anywhere you travel you can be unlucky - ironically I had the runs in India after eating lunch at a 5* hotel as I have in London!! You just have to be sensible and my experiences have always been very positive and my girls ran round barefoot and fancy free and still have great memories of both trips!

If you go I hope you have a fantastic time.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed.

Anything for yow cupc4ke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf8cU0Bc0Ko

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed.

Ha what you like badgerlad so funny ,,lolly.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed.

Nice one Tony.. Lol

Hope ya be that funny on 27th...

west midlands
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed.

Like I said to Meercat, I wanted to do my own research because we would be going with my parents, who have been before so they are a little biased and also don't see the problems with which we could face taking them so young.

10. Re: Advice needed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:16