We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mumbai Visit

Harlow, England...
Level Contributor
360 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mumbai Visit

We are planning spending 3/4 days in Mumbai. I would like to see the following sights, so would need some advice on where to stay, so to avoid travelling to far, as I have heard that the traffic is crazy! We would like to visit, The Gateway to India, The beach which the locals visit in the evening, not sure what its called,but I believe it to be quite famous. The slums, and area where they do the washing - read so much about it, but want to see it for myself! Any suggestions for hotels would be appreciated, nothing too expensive as we are on a budget, but needs to be clean, and reasonable.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mumbai Visit

Stay south. All the tourist sites, galleries, museums and the wonderful Indo-Saracenic gothic architecture, as well as some amazing Art Deco, is in this area. You can walk everywhere too, nowhere is more than about a half hour's walk. The beach to which you refer is Chowpatty, right at the top of Marine Drive - it is probably more than a half hour's walk, but no one should visit Bombay without walking the length of Marine Drive, preferably early evening when the whole of South Bombay and all its visitors are doing exactly the same thing. People watching opportunities a go go (and you also form part of that human installation!).

Why do you want to go to a slum? I live in London, quite urban London, but never really feel the need to go to more notorious parts of London to observe how people live there, less so to pay a tour operator to take me there. I am sure the local residents of the bad parts of my own city would throw stones at tour buses coming to gawp!

Bombay is a fabulous city, quite addictive and I keep adding longer there to Goa trips. I am wonderingly just how long it will be until the balance of the trip reverses and Goa gets less time!

Can't really help you out on the budget hotels as I go a bit nuts on the luxy places there (a deck level pool overlooking the ocean at Marine Drive is worth the outlay in my view for the afternoon view after a morning's sightseeing or for an early morning dip before hitting the streets!). However, use the search box on this forum (and look in the Bombay forum and accommodation section) for budget tips - the Bombay forum is a really good resource generally for the city and its sights. Also, a good guide book for Bombay will be worth its weight in precious metal.

Good choice to visit the city.....

Edited: 09 August 2014, 12:13
manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,624 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mumbai Visit

Have a look at this website, it's a very good and reliable company that will book and arrange everything to suit your personal needs and choices of where and when you would like to visit.

www.mumbaimagic.com

The beach you're talking about is called Juhu Beach.

Edited: 09 August 2014, 12:16
Somerset England
Level Contributor
398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mumbai Visit

We stayed in a small hotel in mint street south the victoria terminus. From there we walked to colaba and met a chap who offered us a sightseeing tour.

We agreed £20 and he took us around all the sights for a 4 hour tour on his ac car. We saw, the washing gats, the fishing village, gandhis house, ocean drive and chowpatty beach. The gateway to India, a persian burial site and some water gardens plus other stuff. In all was a brilliant day out ending in leopalds bar for a drink.

We spent the afternoon wandering back before dinner then caught the midnight train to jodphur which was another adventure

Edited: 09 August 2014, 12:49
Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
11,933 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mumbai Visit

Colaba would be the ideal place to stay to visit Gateway of India and Chowpatty beach. There are plenty of restaurants, pubs, art galleries and shopping options around Colaba. You can walk down the Queen’s necklace (Marine Drive) to Chowaptty, if that’s the beach you refer to. Else, Juhu beach is a short train ride from Church gate station to Vile Parle and then a tuk-tuk to Juhu. You can also visit the Elephanta Caves from Gateway of India.

About the slum visit, I have the same opinion as that of londonraffles.

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), India
Level Contributor
4,283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mumbai Visit

+1 on the slum visit.

Residency Hotel in Fort is a decent budget hotel close to most sights in South Mumbai.

Dhobi Ghat in Mahalaxmi is the open air laundry you refer to.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
3,672 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mumbai Visit

I agree with MumbaiGuy, the Residency Fort is good value and good location for the main sights of south Mumbai. Chowpatty beach is where the locals gather in the evening, it's a real funfair type atmosphere. Juhu beach is nearer to the airport.

I would suggest you have a plan as to what to see on which days to get the most out of your visit. If you are in north Mumbai it's worth a visit to Mani Bhavan, where Gandhi used to stay when he was in Mumbai.

The Residency Hotel is a 10 minute walk from Victoria Terminus station.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mumbai Visit

There is a nice option available in airport- 4h, 8h (includes x km, dont remember how much) tour in Mumbai. You will tell what you are interested in, and they will tell you if it is possible with this time- Mumbai is a big city ;) Btw- Juhu beach is good choice, just save for it some space in your stomach- very good local food in there.

Edited: 09 August 2014, 16:44
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mumbai Visit

Hi

Have a look at reality tours website for your trip round the slums . We went in April and did a full day tour with them which included a 2hour walk round the largest slum , which incidentally was fantastic and well worth seeing , they also included the Dhobi ghats (washing place) the gateway to India, the old Victoria station as well as loads of other places. Also we told them we wanted to try street food so we had veggie at lunch on the beach then non veggie for tea in what looked like a lock up garage with no door on a busy side street. Both were amazing and great food and all included in the tour .

Mumbai is super busy and we could never have seen as much if we'd done it ourselves , oh we also watched a manic cricket match at the 'Oval' .

We loved Mumbai it was so different to Goa . We stayed near the airport though which was fine as it fitted in better with our timings. On our second day we went to juhu beach which was 'interesting'to say the least but the tuc tuc ride there was fantastic.

If you go please try Paav baa gi (think that's how you spell it) it's a veggie dish you might have seen Rick Stein try it on his India program , it's delicious.

Anyway hope this helps

Mandy

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
11,933 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mumbai Visit

cleveleystravellers, could you please explain what was so fantastic in walking around the slums?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mumbai Visit

It was really interesting seeing all the industry and the sheer size of the place . We also got to visit a school and community centre. The people were lovely and the tour guide was full of information . We also chose this tour as almost all the money paid is out back into the community to improve the area. It wasnt what we expected at all , we learned a lot and that was what was so good about it . Of course it wont be to everyones taste .