We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria tablets

Hi

What tablets would you recommend. Also they seem expensive over here to buy, how much in advance do you need to take them, and also just an idea could I buy the minimum needed here between 2 of us and buy the rest over there?? ( do they do same brands as here as wouldn't want to swap brands in case don't work properly ) going calangute area

Many thanks

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
807 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria tablets

Robbo there is little point seeking recommendations on TA for what is in effect a medical issue, you should discuss with your GP / Practice nurse to find out what is suitable for you and your other half, they may even recommend different products for each of you dependant upon your medical history. The general recommendation at the moment for Goa is malarone which is taken daily and it is a little more expensive than other products.

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria tablets

Don't forget that there is a generic malarone available now. Asda were charging £1 per tablet recently. I will try and find the thread where this was discussed.

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria tablets

Here is the thread I mentioned.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297604-i6045-k6…

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria tablets

Thanks for your help both of you

Leeds, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria tablets

Im travelling to Goa in November, went to my doctors the other day to see the nurse for travel advise on jabs/malaria etc. Showed me on the computer that goa /most of India at the moment is not a high risk area. It is low to moderate. She advised me its my choise but she wouldnt say its was essetial i take maleria tablets there.

Cleethorpes
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria tablets

I too was given the same advice. I also went to Asda for generic malarone and the pharmacist was unwilling to sell them to me even though he had them in stock as its now only a very low risk. Last time I went I had no problem getting them.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,254 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria tablets

Well Goa is certainly not a very low risk area and a lot depends on when you are travelling, although we go in January when I consider the risk much lower, I most definately would not go to Goa in November right after the monsoons when there is a lot of water about and not take anti malarials.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria tablets

After advice from trip advisor I phoned the nurse. They wouldnt hsve a telephone conversation re tablets I have to go in, cant get a apointment for two weeks but will add here the advice from my docs here just gor interest.

Harlow, England...
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria tablets

I have an appointment tomorrow....we are going to Goa, but plan on visiting Mumbai, Delhi , and Hampi...I will post the advise I get.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria tablets

That would me good, im planning on a side trip to Mumbai too.