We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa collection -birmingham

wales
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
visa collection -birmingham

Has anyone recently collected a visa from b'ham hci, is it still necessary to get in the queue for about 7 am, I have spoken to the hci and they recommend getting there before 10 am, any advice would be appreciated as I have to get visa this monday.

Derby, England
Level Contributor
372 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa collection -birmingham

I got my visa from there mid october and it was increadbly busy we got in the que at about 8 and que untill 1 just to be seen, then where told to come back at 4 to collect. I couldn't come back as I had to get to work but we gave them a special delivery envolope and they posted it back to us no worries. I suspect it may even be busyer as it's main tourist season now. I advise taking a good book

birmingham
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visa collection -birmingham

Hi

Im a Goa regular and also work just opposit the HC in Birmingham. Suggest you get there early. Queues always massive.

Also, they work on a first come first served ticket basis (like the deli counter) and i think only the first 200/250 in the queue get their visa. If youre not one of them you have to go back and try your luck the next day.

Ive started doing mine by postal application. If you can give about 6 weeks notice it saves a lot of hassle.

buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
136 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visa collection -birmingham

hi, we collected our visas from birmingham in october, we got to the ihc at about 8.15, the queue was already very long and some regulars told us that they doubted we would get a number, we did get our visas after a very long day but i would really advise you get there very early and take something to read and eat. they close for lunch and tell everyone to be back at three, we got back at 2.30 and the queue was enormous, might be better to stay around to get good place in the queue.

we are going to candolim in january, it's more exciting than chrismas!!!

kovalam
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: visa collection -birmingham

If you'r applying for a visa, then yes get there early(and take a camping chair) but if you are only collecting then it's not such a rush, and dont forget Birmingham City Centre is only 10mins away so there is plenty to do while waiting.

uk
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visa collection -birmingham

We went on Tuesday this week 21 Nov it was a bit of a panic as we got in a traffic jam on the way down, what should have been a 2 hour drive turned in to a 3 1/2 hours trip.

We arrived at the consulate at 9.30 and went straight in as all the queue had already gone in. we got a ticket...NOTE>>> there are only 200 tickets given out each day and a MAXIMUM of 700 visas issued. This is until further notice.

We had one ticket which covered our 6 passports.

We had no problem although we waited a couple of hours till our number was called (we had seats) We were told to return to collect between 3-4.30 returned at 3 and got visas after about an hours wait which I didnt think was too bad as everyone in the queue was chatting and comparing visits to Goa.

uk
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visa collection -birmingham

Just a note to add...the visa surgeries around the country now charge an extra £10 per visa!

I have done the Manchester experience twice ;-(

This time had to go to Birmingham as we noticed when filling the visa application forms that children now have to have their own passport, one of the children travelling with us was still on his mums passport which was valid for 2 more years but it then became a mad dash to get him his own passport.

This is a new rule this year as he travelled to Goa the last 2 Decembers on his mums passport.

wales
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: visa collection -birmingham

thanks to everyone for the advice, we will have to get there as early as poss as going back the next day isn't and option for us as we are travelling from wales and we fly nxt thurs. Tried the manchester surgery but there were just too many people, couldn't do it by post as my partner works in france and had travelled home to get his visa. so there is no alternative for us, it's monday or nothing, best sleep over!

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,428 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visa collection -birmingham

Good luck, hope you get your visas ok and manage to get out to Goa next Thursday.

9. Re: visa collection -birmingham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 23:19