We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fake cigs at airport, airport rip off

buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
fake cigs at airport, airport rip off

I travelled back on 28th of Jan, it was my first trip to Goa, we stupidly fell for the "you can only spend pounds when you get through to the other side" I bought 200 cigarettes from the little shop on the left as you go in, I bought them as a present and I have been told that they are fakes, I knew from this forum not to buy cigarettes from markets etc but would have thought that an airport was safe, live and learn!!!

munich germany
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: fake cigs at airport, airport rip off

This may be relevent, prior to our last vist to Goa, my husband had always been pleased with the Duty Free cigis bought at the Airport in Goa (Benson & Hedges). On our last visit in Jan he noticed that they were now manufactured in Nigeria, and not the same quality as the European ones. Not Fakes but inferior blend for the Nigerian market, they must be cheaper to buy in but are being sold at the same price

Evesham, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: fake cigs at airport, airport rip off

OOh! this is the first time I've heard this, I always buy cigs from the airport for my friends, no-one has ever said anything. Definitely don't buy from markets or dodgy shops!

London
Level Contributor
317 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fake cigs at airport, airport rip off

In reply to buying cigarettes in Nigeria. the cigarettes are not actauly fakes, as they are made by the same British American tobacco company. They are no as well filtered as for some reason this sells better in Nigeria, than the well filttered ones. They are actually stronger and when you smoke, the smoke is stronger and the first time i tried it, it tasted as i thought marijuana will taste.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
596 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fake cigs at airport, airport rip off

In the departure lounge at Dabolim, the cigs are International Blend. Which are slightly different to UK blends,slightly stronger more Americanized, so not really fake.

However many of the shops and stalls in Goa do sell fakes, some of which contain more hazardous compounds than real cigs.

If you re-fuel in the Gulf the cigs there are International Blend and similar to UK brands.

The burn rate of a ciggie is a guide, a real one should burn away un aided in an ashtray without further puffing. Nor should it crackle, hiss or pop. The filter tip should not smoulder or burn away beyond the white paper.

Stranger still fakes take longer to dissolve in water. On a real one the filter tip comes away quite easily, the fake will survive several flushings in the loo still intact.

Fakes have shoddy packaging, the cellophane strip tends to come away ragged, as does the silver/gold foil inside, and the hinge top either sticks or tears.

Regards Messrs. Peter Styvesant & Phillip Morris

No. 6 Park Drive

Old Holburn

Dorchester nr Berkley

Marlboro

Virginia

5. Re: fake cigs at airport, airport rip off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 00:18