We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicken xacuti

leeds uk
Level Contributor
952 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Chicken xacuti

Hi everyone,

Quiet in the forum just now, most of us Goafans are about halfway between holidays.

whilst there's not a lot doing I was thinking about the lovely Goan food, and decided to post a recipie.

I can follow with more if anyone enjoys it.

To start with one of the most famous of all Goan dishes,

( pronounced shacutee )

Ingredients:

1 large chicken (1 ¼ kg)

salt to taste

one cup grated coconut

1 tbsp fresh diced coconut

1 ½ tbsp coriander seeds

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 tbsp poppy seeds

1 tsp turmeric seeds

8 red dried chillies

1 tsp grated nutmeg

6 star aniseed

2 tsp fennel seeds

1/3 cup oil

2 large onions, chopped fine

6 green chillies, chopped fine

2 tbsp tamarind pulp

3 cups water

Method:

Wash and clean the chicken.

Apply salt and keep aside.

In a griddle / tava, on medium heat brown the grated coconut, and all the spices except the nutmeg, green chillies and diced coconut for approx. 3 -5 mins.

Remove from heat and grind this mixture of roasted spices to a paste in the blender/grinder.

Heat oil in a pan on medium heat and saute all the ground spices along with the green chillies, and 1 large onion chopped fine.

Add the chicken pieces, diced coconut, nutmeg and salt to taste along with the tamarind pulp.

Lower the flame and add the water gradually, stir cooking, as you do so in an open pan.

After 15 minutes, raise the flame and shake the pan gently.

The oil will rise to the top.

Remove from the heat.

Corsham Wiltshire
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicken xacuti

Cheerz Ian, i'll give this dish a go on the weekend, i tried while we were in Goa & it went down a treat along with a fair few kingfishers!

I made a diamond Lamb Rogan Josh using alot of the spices we bought back with us, & have to say that the Garam Masala we got from the plantation is like fire dust, well hot, but i like my curries with a bit of welly so i ate mine then finished off the mrs plate too. Roll on Jan so i cant get the real deal down my neck, hope to catch up with you then for a beer & natter.

All the best

Steve

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicken xacuti

Hello have bought spices back in the past ,but when i have come to use them the lableing has come of and not sure what it is,most spices i have seen come in very thin plastic bags,do the spices come better packed at spice plantation,its the seeds i want to bring back this time,like that recipie for chicken.I no a lot of spices are packed for tourists and are way passed sell by date.When any body gets there spices where do they get them from,

chippenham, wilts
Level Contributor
797 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicken xacuti

I always get mine from mapusa friday market, this is where a lot of the locals do there shopping so the spices are fresh.

steve

chippenham, wilts
Level Contributor
797 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicken xacuti

p.s.

if you are not sure what is what, put a piece of paper with the name of the spice/seed inside the bag and then transfer them into air tight containers when you get home and label them yourself :-)

steve

buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicken xacuti

The recipe looks great and I'll definately give it a go but beware of bugs in spices, the spices I bought for a friend yielded some lovely bugs after a few weeks incubation!!!!!

leeds uk
Level Contributor
952 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicken xacuti

Hi Everyone,

Ditto to both here, Mapsa market for the spices, any day of the week is good, although Friday has extra tourist sellers.

and paper with the names on will probably be provided by the vendor when you ask, or take a shopping list and tear off the strips as they pack your spices.

we were buying 50g bags of most spices for around 20-40 rupees !

yes folks that's 25-50p a little less than swartz ones in the supermaket here in leeds lol .

While you are visiting mapsa market, have a walk across the busy road opposite all the jewelers shops on the front of the marketplace and look for a place called " The Pub " you can get a cool drink or something to eat there while resing your legs, and have the most wonderful vantage point over the proceedings below, dont forget the camera, it's a great place for photography !

Enjoy

ian..............

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,963 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicken xacuti

I'll second that on "The Pub" is a great spot to top up the sun cream, have a cold beer or lime soda and watch all the great street scenes below :-)

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,963 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicken xacuti

p.s. I have just added a photo taken from "The Pub" to my Nov/Dec album.

p.p.s. I also posted an alternative recipe for xacuti a while back if I find it I will bump it up. I will also dig out a couple of other recipe's and add to this thread

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicken xacuti

I am soooo actually WE are looking forward to being there again...

anyne else going Dec to the south???

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,963 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicken xacuti

Ian if you fancy trying a different xacuti recipe (though a bit more labour intensive) I've bumped one up it's in the middle of Where to stay in South Goa though no idea how it ended up in there :-)

p.s. I could post an old Sorpatel recipe from a "local local" old recipe book, which should cut back on the number of tourists LOL

p.p.s. I have a couple of good Goan fish curry and ambotik recipe's I must dig out and post

Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations