We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanti Nature Reserve Children

derby uk
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shanti Nature Reserve Children

Is this overnight trip suitable for older children or would it be best just to go for the day. We have two girls aged 13 and 11. How long is the bus trip from Calangute. Most grateful for any replies

buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
136 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shanti Nature Reserve Children

Hi, the overnight trip was great, I suppose it depends on what your children are like with bugs and cow poo! The huts are made from cow poo and are very basic, the one we stayed in had a double and a single bed, they are covered with mossie nets, I don't know if they have family huts.

The bus from Candolim took a couple of hours if I remember but we stopped off at a spice plantation for lunch which was really good and the scenery was lovely. I am sure your girls would love the elephants and the evening entertainment was extra special :)The short walk to a local village and school was very interesting.Only you know how your girls would cope but have fun if you go.

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shanti Nature Reserve Children

We did the day trip last monday. Had a look at the huts and they consisted of a basic toilet, bed with stuffed straw matress and a mossie net. The outside toilets were fine. Bear in mind in april it was 40Oc during there day here. If you love camping etc then great, if you like ensuites and aircon don't do it!

On the day trip we had a taxi(included in the price), took about 90min, maybe an hour more in a bus, it is very remote.

On our day there were just 6 of us! We spoke to somebody who did the overnight trip the week before and it was chaos as 2 coaches of russians turned up.

derby uk
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shanti Nature Reserve Children

Thankyou I shall have have a think about it and show the girls your replies.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shanti Nature Reserve Children

I did this trip last year. There was a large group of us which included a 4 and 6 year old and they loved it. It was a wonderful experience. We too stopped at the spice plantation and then onto the reserve. The huts are very, very basic but that was all part of the experience. I personally loved the food provided, but some of my group didnt. As there is nowhere else to obtain any different food, you may want to stock up on some crisps etc. The kids, aswell as the adults, loved the ride on the elephants, the shows and then the next day a walk to the river for an elephant power shower and washing the elephants. What an experience. I would recommend this trip.

derby uk
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Shanti Nature Reserve Children

Thats decided then we will be doing this trip. Thanks for your replies.

6. Re: Shanti Nature Reserve Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations