We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay at Royal Palms, Goa

Mumbai
Level Contributor
6 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Stay at Royal Palms, Goa

I am planning a trip to Goa in November and being a RCI member have very limited choices, I have been offered two choice,

1. Royal Goan Club at Royal Palms near Colva Beach, in South Goa

2. Royal Goan Beach Club, Monterio near Bagga Beach, North Goa

Could somebody who has recently stayed at either of these places help me with real info on these resorts. I am travelling along with my wife and two kids.

shropshire
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay at Royal Palms, Goa

I stayed at the Royal Palms in Benualim last year but haven't stayed at the other hotel. I would recomend the Royal Palms to anyone and there are a few nice restaurants just outside the hotel, there is also a supermarket type shop outside the hotel and turn left.

I've stayed in Bagga about 5 times but it got too busy and noisy so decided to try south and now only go north to travel to the markets.

Benualim beach is vey quiet but if you walk along the beach it takes about 20 mins to walk to Colva which is a lot busier with lots of shacks.

If I can be any more help just ask. Jane

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay at Royal Palms, Goa

We were in the Royal Palms, Benaulim in January of this year(our second visit). After a shaky start when we were given a room up 3 flights of terrible stairs (we're getting on a bit), we were given a really nice apartment. I would recommend it - it was a bit strange going out of the hotel for breakfast and into the restaurant next door, but the breakfast itself was very good by Indian standards.

Anything that went wrong (our aircon didn't work and toilet didn't flush initially) was fixed right away, the staff were very helpful. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the beach if you take the shortcut (turn right out of the hotel, walk down to where there's a lady selling the usual stuff on the corner, turn right down there and keep going. The local restaurants were excellent, but i wouldn't go to the jeweller right opposite the hotel, who tried to rip us off good style:)

We enjoyed Benaulim very much, you can travel around the south from there, lots of places are within easy reach.

I haven't been into the RGBC in Baga, but have passed it and it looks very nice, overlooking the river. However, you would probably have to take a taxi to the beach.

Hope this helps.

Benaulim
Level Contributor
296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay at Royal Palms, Goa

I live near the Royal palms BENAULIM, through the season, i speak to many tourists who stay there, ive heard many complaints.

Ive got no idea, but its not posh, for sure.

Maybe a 3 star resort.

The Taxi drivers outside, are rip offs, walk down the road and Taxis will (should) be cheaper.

Bargain hard for everything.

akola
Level Contributor
399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay at Royal Palms, Goa

dear stevebenaulim

as u are residing in benaulim u are the best person who can give advise regarding a resort which is on beach and is not pricy , provides aircon and basic amenities .

your info and help much appreciated .

thanks

Benaulim
Level Contributor
296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay at Royal Palms, Goa

In Benaulim, a decent resort near the beach is LAMOUR, basic, clean, good security, fantastic location.

Around 600 to 800 non a/c, not sure how much a/c rooms are.

1 minute walk to the beach, great restaurant, good staff.

But to be honest in Benaulim, not much in the way of hotels, mostly guest houses.

P.S. Im nothing to do with LAMOUR, ive just known lots of people who have stayed there, and are happy.

Probably booked in the peak season.

Thx

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay at Royal Palms, Goa

There's a rather nasty review of L'amour on this website - where a tourist woke up in the evening to find a rat on his forehead - yuk!

Benaulim
Level Contributor
296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay at Royal Palms, Goa

Yes rats arnt fun, but its India, a friend of mine, close by had a 4 foot snake in her bathroom.

Many guests tell me theyve seen rats in the Royal palms also.

Believe me rats are everywhere.

Lamour is best of a bad bunch and a good price, for the location.

Not much available in Benaulim.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,326 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay at Royal Palms, Goa

The Royal Palms is classed by UK tour operaters as a 3 star and is in a good location with a few restaurants just outside and maybe a 15 minute walk to the beach or a couple of minutes by tuk tuk or taxi (as Steve says go away from the hotel to catch a taxi this is the same advice for anyone staying in a hotel in Goa.......from the Royal Palms just walk 2 minutes to the junction with the main beach road and you will find taxi's/tuk tuks). Benaulim is a lovely village which reminds me in atmosphere of Baga in 95/96 etc., with a good selection of shacks Johncy's and Hawaii being our favourite's, Joecons is also an excellent restaurant. From Johncy's if facing the sea turn right and you can walk along the beach to Colva stopping at a shack ot two along the way for a nice chilled limca/limesoda/kingfisher. Also from the junction at the beach road if you turn right and walk up to Maria Halls cross-roads then you can catch the local bus either to Margao or the other way towards Cavelossim/Mobor....sorry I can't help with Monterio......

UK
Level Contributor
364 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay at Royal Palms, Goa

I am a Royal Goan Member and know both of these properties. Of the two I would say that the Monterio has the better accommodation and, in fact, my wife and I are going there again in November. Some of the Royal Palms apartments have been upgraded but if you are unlucky you could get a tatty one. Having said that, friends of ours who are also RCI members are returning to the Royal Palms for the third time next year. We like the atmoshere at Benaulim village, and as others have said the beach is excellent and relatively quiet; so we will also be spending a week in the Benaulim area in November, but in a hotel.

The Monterio is in a quiet riverside area. You can walk to the beach in 10/15 minutes. Baga beach, to the left over the Baga Bridge, is very busy and not at all pictureque with lots of beach shacks with sun beds and parasols. But if you walk to the right along a cliff path (not dangerous)there is a very nice small beach with a beach shack which serves drinks and meals and has free sun beds. Further afield, you can get a taxi to Anjuna or Vagator which have nice beaches.

The Monterio is on a bit of a slope but if you have a 2-bed apartment the views from the master bedroom balcony are superb. The are 2 pools. The Monterio has a nice restaurant and plenty of other places to eat on the Arpora/ Baga Road, and at Arpora itself as well as at Baga. From past experience the taxis in the north (Baga) area are cheaper that the south.

If you have 2 weeks why not have a weeks at each.

swanse
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay at Royal Palms, Goa

Like TomTom, we are royal goan members and I would agree with everything he said. I prefer Benaulim, totally authentic India for me. Great local [cheap] food, wlaks and beach very good as well.

Joncys is the most well-known of beach shacks, primarily because it is the first one everyone encounters when you get there.

Our favourite is a shack called Anthy's, about half way between Benaulim and Colva. Its also a Guesthouse, and although have not stayed there, met quite a few people who go back there time and time again.

Royal Palms is being refurbished, we went in 2006 and the accommodation was tired to say the least. We went again last year and the rooms had been modernised and it was ten times better.

You will enjoy the experince

Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations