We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about which malaria tabs to take

London
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Topic
Confused about which malaria tabs to take

Can somebody please help me? I went to the Pharmacy in Asda and was told that we needed to take Paludrine/Avloclor. Then yesterday the nurse at my GP surgery said that we needed to take Malarone. Can somebody tell me what the difference is and whose advice I should take? The cheaper option without side effects is best for us, but obviously I dont want to put our health at risk. I'm geetting really confused now!!

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about which malaria tabs to take

We are going in NOvember...a family member who is a doctor advised me "Larium"...

that probably confuses you even more!

amanda

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
804 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about which malaria tabs to take

There are so many threads re the malaria issue on this forum. Everyone has their own ideas of what or what not to take. Malarone is very very expensive i.e cheapest £2.10 per tablet from Boots online. Most people seem to take Paludrine and Avoclor and are perfectly alright with them. It is only if you have problems with the P&A then you have to consider other ones. You will find out pretty soon if they agree or disagree with you.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about which malaria tabs to take

Hi, I have always been advised by my nurse to take Proguanil plus Chloroquine (travelpack known as Paludrine/Avloclor). I am NOT a health care professional and I am only stating my own experience as the question has been asked. There is a huge difference in the cost of the tablets. Many people can't take P + C because of the side effects and therefore take Malarone. Others are absolutely fine, myself and hubby included). The length of time you need to take either of the anti-malarials is below, Malarone is a much shorter course:

PALUDRINE/AVLOCLOR (proguanil/chloroquine)

Adult Dose:

One week before departure to malarious zone = 1 strip (7 days) I.E. Two tablets paludrine daily at same time each day ( 200mg ), and two tablets avloclor ( 300mg ) on the same day each week.

For each week you are in malarious zone = 1 strip/week.

For four weeks upon return = 4 strips

I.E. For one week away you will require 6 strips of tablets

For two weeks away you will require 7 strips of tablets

For each additional week away you will require an extra strip.

MALARONE (private prescription needed)

One tablet daily for two days before departing to a malarious zone(2 tablets).

One tablet daily whilst in malarious zone (7 tablets/week).

One tablet daily for one week on return (7 tablets).

I.E. 16 tablets are required for one week away.

23 tablets are required for two weeks away, etc.

London
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about which malaria tabs to take

Thanks everyone for your help. I didn't realise that Paludrine/Avloclor was actually P & C. What are the side effects of these - are they bad? I know my husband will be fine, but if anyone is going to suffer, it'll be me! Also, I'm not a great pill taker. I've seen the size of the P & C and think I'll be able to swallow those okay. Are the Malarone a similar size?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about which malaria tabs to take

Hi again, we've never taken Malarone so can't comment on the size. We've never had side effects from the P + C and always take them with the evening meal to minimize any possible side effects but some people experience sickness, stomach pains and weird dreams.

I'm like you, if anyone will suffer it will be me but haven't had a problem at all fortunately. The only drawback for us is that 7 weeks is a long time to take them but that is the length of the course so we finish it.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about which malaria tabs to take

Have never known larium to be recommended for Goa before. I know it's recommended for many countries in Africa and possibly others in SE Asia, but not Goa. It's also one of the drugs that can have a myriad of side effects, so if it's possible to check you've been given the right advice, please do.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about which malaria tabs to take

I googled side effects for lariam and it makes frightening reading.

8. Re: Confused about which malaria tabs to take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 00:24
Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations