We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 95% Deet safe to use ?

Cornwall
Level Contributor
574 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is 95% Deet safe to use ?

Hello.....

Just thinking about what l need to buy for my hol to Goa ( fly with Thomas Cook 2 weeks ) My other have has told me to buy the strongest insect repellant.........Well that is 95% deet.........Thats strong isnt it ? All comments welcome please. SERETA

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
7,823 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 95% Deet safe to use ?

Hi Sereta, although I need a strong repellent, 95% deet has put me off.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 95% Deet safe to use ?

Hi Sereta, There is a stronger one that is called Ben's 100, I believe it contains more Deet than any others that you can buy. We have used it for the last 6 times we have been to Goa, and NO BITES, all others that we had tried before either had no effect or limited effect. Perfectly safe to use and lasts all day. If you're a mossie magnet like me its certainly worth trying. Have a great holiday.

AWS

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 95% Deet safe to use ?

i've just found this site. its definatly worth a look if your using deet based repellant.

healthandgoodness.com/health/deet_mosquitoes…

then click on IS DEET SAFE.

BOB

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,836 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 95% Deet safe to use ?

Interesting article Bob - I always did have a few doubts about deet after seeing what it did to my nail varnish! I always try not to breathe it in but find it difficult holding my breath for so long.

Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 95% Deet safe to use ?

we always use boots 50% deet and one night going to visit friends put some stuff in a Marlboro carrier bag (bright red and white writing) got out of the taxi the other end and we both had red and white writing all over our legs, where the bag had been. it also removes nail varnish.

So God knows what stronger stuff does!!

Cheers

Lyn x

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 95% Deet safe to use ?

hi lyn.

its not just what it does to plastic bags,and nail varnish. read the link i posted above, and read about what it does to your insides!!!! and what the final outcome could be. i found it a bit frightning!!! the more deet content, the more likelyhood of problems.

i would sugest, people shouldn't use the higher content of deet preperations.

BOB

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 95% Deet safe to use ?

OH FORGOT TO MENTION SERETA.

after reading the link i've posted, i'd say its not safe to use 95% deet preperations!!!!!

BOB

Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 95% Deet safe to use ?

yes thanks Bob a very scary article

cheers Lyn x

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 95% Deet safe to use ?

Hi there

We biught 100% deet from ebay, but only used it on clothing and watered it down 50% to use on the skin.

Dawn

Cornwall
Level Contributor
574 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 95% Deet safe to use ?

Yeah............

Interesting article Bobthebus l think u are very right that deet IS NOT safe to use. l went to the chemist today and saw Bens Deet ( 95% bloddy Deet ! ! ) l read the box the dos and donts on the box ! ! ! ! Say no more. l bought Mosi Guard natural insect repellant we have used that before with good effect so decided to stay with that.Myself and my boyfriend dont take malaria tablets so need lots of sprays.Cheers all SERETA

Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations