We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favourite areas and things to do in Goa

dover, UK
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Favourite areas and things to do in Goa

Hi,

What are your favourite areas & beaches in Goa? Do you prefer North or South?

We are a thirty something couple who will be travelling to Goa for the first time in March 2006 and would like to hear recommendations from people have already been there.

Are there any excursions that you would recommend, or are there any places we should not miss?

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

Thank you,

Rebecca

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favourite areas and things to do in Goa

Goa is one country with two very different areas, the south I am no expert in but I do know the short time I stayed there I didnt enjoy it the same as the North.- it is very quiet- its all a question of what YOU want and am sure tightjock will respond favourably regarding the South

All of Goa has wonderful culture and very different beaches which all deserve a visit, you must see the temples, the spice plantations etc etc Go on a moonlight cruise down the Mandovi, there are hundreds of things to keep you occupied.

I always stay in Candolim/Calungute but usually go a couple of days a week up to Mojim or Manderem where it is less manic and more peaceful a taxi for the days costs aroung £10 so its a cheap day out. Dont book through british tour operators wait until you are there and either book through local tour operators or even a friendly taxi driver most of all

ENJOY

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Candolim
Candolim
Bardez, India
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Favourite areas and things to do in Goa

As Goanluv said I prefer the South as it is quieter but it really is as a base. Goa is small so we tend to spend one day chilling on a beach followed by one day out and about (we are going for 4 weeks this time so may spend a bit longer chilling) Goa really has everything one day you can be chilling on a beach out of a bounty advert the next at a mad Indian market Mapusa market on a Friday is a must see then visiting historical buildings Catholic churches at Old Goa Hindu temples in Ponda trips up the Mondovi River seeing crocs. and great birdlife or go on a 4x4 to the second highest waterfall in India and swim in a gorgeous cool pool whilst picnicing at the waters edge trying to defend your food from the resident monkeys have a bbq on an island seeing dolphins on route (do you get theimpression I fell in love with Goa) Yes the culture is very different but that is what makes it magical after all there are 5 continents and people living so many different ways in the world. Oh dear I am starting to sound like a philosipher!!! Have a great trip. p.s. I so envy G.L. having made 9 trips I hope to one day catch up! p.p.s. I forgot to add Goans are the most welcoming hospitable people I have ever met and I hope they never get corrupted by the west! p.p.p.s I hope s00by reads this and is re-assured

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Mapusa
Mapusa
North Goa District, India
Old Goa
Old Goa
1,205 Reviews
Goa Velha, India
Ponda
Ponda
North Goa District, India
Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Favourite areas and things to do in Goa

Tightjock has said it all -- by the way, the Bounty Advert beach is Agonda !!!! Not long to your well-needed holiday TJ. Have a wonderful time.

Regards, Linda

Mentioned in this post
Agonda
Agonda
South Goa District, India
Watford England
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Favourite areas and things to do in Goa

Whats Agonda like? Always looking for that new beach to visit and will be in the palolem area for about 5 days.

Sonofscouse

Mentioned in this post
Agonda
Agonda
Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Favourite areas and things to do in Goa

Agonda is a beautiful, quiet beach. No sunbeds, no sellers, just a two or three shacks set back from the beach and a couple of guest houses and cocohuts, which are basic but some do have ensuite. Very cheap to stay the night, approximately 400 per hut. Agonda is classes as a preservation area and it is possible to see Turtles hatch, as we did last year. Agonda used to be my special secret but it's so wonderful I want everyone to know about it. If you get a chance to spend some time there do ..... the locals are a fantastic bunch.

Mentioned in this post
Agonda
Agonda
Watford England
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Favourite areas and things to do in Goa

Thanks MAG, will look to get over there for a bit, sounds like our kind of place.

Sonofscouse

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favourite areas and things to do in Goa

Hi - I am liking the sound of your Agonda place. I'm looking for that sort of vibe. Can you tell me how to contact the beach huts there?

thanks, K

Mentioned in this post
Agonda
Agonda
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Favourite areas and things to do in Goa

Thanks Linda we are so on count down, what time of year did you see the turtles ?

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
466 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Favourite areas and things to do in Goa

Katsbud - contact for cocohuts:

Shekhar Pagu, Madhu Shack, Agonda Beach, email shekhar1303@sify.com, telephone 00 91 832 264 7116. We met an ex-member of a now defunct once famous boyband, who was staying in Goa for a couple of weeks before travelling to Thailand, he ended up staying for three months whilst deciding his next career move. The place is so chilled it's wonderful.

TightJock - saw the turtles hatch in February, although hatchings occur anytime between December and March, so you may be lucky!!

Mentioned in this post
Agonda Beach
Agonda Beach
1,938 Reviews
Agonda, India
Goa
Goa
India
Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favourite areas and things to do in Goa

I was about to post the same question - north or south? Sounds like south is best for me, i like my beach. anyone recommend a good hotel, 4 star, beach front, and good snorkelling if poss..... am looking into booking in Feb................activegirl

Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations