We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goa at christmas

leicester
4 posts
Save Topic
Goa at christmas

Hi all...we are 5 girls from the Uk going to goa from 20th Dec - 26th Dec. Any advise with regards to a place to say - thats clean, lively and not too expensive???...also what areas are best to stay in...what is the party scene like...shopping???

Any body else from the Uk going at this time - let us know..

Really looking forward to lazy on the beach in the day and partying all night!

Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goa at christmas

Hi shinky, we usually go over Christmas but not this year. I believe you will be better off staying in the lively resorts of Baga/Calungute where there are lots of bars restaurants, clubs and shops.

The party scene is not my scene so we will let someone else answer that one, although we have been invited to hill top parties by our younger Goan friends.

I think you need to bear in mind its a 3rd world country and standards there are not the same as ours.

The beaches are fabulous and you may enjoy a couple of nights in a beach hut in Mandrem or down South where a lot of youngsters get together.

Goa will be packed with European and Indian tourists at that time of year - it is peak tourist season

I do hope you enjoy - let us know when you return

cheers

Lyn x

india
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Goa at christmas

hi lottsa parties happening,try TITOS at baga beach,,,CLUB CABANA abt 20 min drive from baga ,,plus plenty of rave and trance parties happening ,,feel free to ask the locals for information ,they are verry friendly.

leicester
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Goa at christmas

Thanks so much for the advise - we are really looking forward to it! If you think of anything else that we may find useful please keep us posted....

Ps - we are off to Mumbai for New Years - any one else gona be out there at this time? I think we will be going to JW Marriott 4 New Years eve...anybody been there or have any alternative suggestions?

Thnx X

Wales
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Goa at christmas

Hi Shinky!

I'm also from the UK and spent a whole year in India as a "gap year". Goa is definately the place to be, esp. for 5 girls!

I would also recommend Baga - it has a very happening club there called Tito's which is great, and you'll find a load of British tourists there, and plenty of drink! Baga and Calangute are great beaches, they are basically connected to one another, and you'll be able to rent sun loungers for the day.

It's a great shame you won't be there for New Years! I celebrated the turn of 2005 at The Hilltop, which is basically like a huge open area with lots of trees lit up with rope lights and a huge stage playing dance and trance music until about 6am! I would also recommend Club Cabana, otherwise known at the Nightclub in the sky. I've never been (as I always stay in Colva), but it's supposed to stand on the top of a mountain and has swimming pools! From what I remember from a flyer, it was pretty costly to get in but that price included your drinks for the night.

As I mentioned, I always prefer to stay in Colva. There are European tourists there, but not too many. Baga and Calangute beaches can get overcrowded, but you'll be sure to meet plenty of people there! I'll be in Colva this year, but I'll just be missing you, as I'll be leaving for Delhi to tour Rajasthan again on 15th December, but I wish you an amazing time!

P.S. Don't miss out on the Anjuna flea market every Wednesday, there'll be a weekly bus wherever you end up staying. Don't be afraid of speaking to the locals, they are very handy! Also, remember! Be careful of what you pay for things at these markets (there is also a weekly night market which is great). My advice (that's been passed onto me) is to pay 1/3 of the asking price, that way they still make a little profit but you don't get robbed! In Anjuna market, you'll also meet people handing out flyers for different clubs, so keep a look out! P.P.S. !! A friend of mine got food poisoning from a cake that she ate at Anjuna market, so take that as a warning! But, there's a lovely lady there who sells homemade lemon water that's perfectly safe!! (Remember whilst visiting India, always drink bottled water that has a seal on it before you buy!)

Anyway, I'm babbling now! Mumbai is also great, I spent a week there and I think that was enough for me! I stayed on Colaba Causeway, which I'd recommend you visiting - many shops there! But remember you won't find our usual shops! I'd also recommend taking a daily tour around Mumbai, which will cover many of it's tourist attractions (the same for Goa too!).

Anyway, I hope this has helped you a little. Remember, have fun and relax. If you go out and plan on drinking, make sure you also drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration and take plenty of sun cream! I'll leave you be now!

Take care, Vicky!

leicester
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Goa at christmas

Thanks soo much - the advice is really appreciated ...we r gettin soo xcitd ;)

Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goa at christmas

Shinky and anyone else who love India if you haven't read it yet get a novel called Shantarum by Gregory David Roberts it is the best book I have ever read (read it 3 times) in my life and Im over the hill now!! It helps you understand some of Indias weird and wonderful ways

cheers

Lyn x

Wales
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Goa at christmas

Hey all!

Just to add to Lyn's comment... Holy Cow is the most amazing book ever. It covers everything that you should expect from India, and more! I'd definately recommend it! It's a great read after seeing India, as you'll appreciate it a lot more! The author is Sarah Macdonald, who, in the novel and in real life, is a journalist that moves to live in India and I won't give anymore away! Another I'd recommend is Are You Experienced? by William Sutcliffe, which is rather similar, but from a guy's perspective, and only goes to India to follow a girl who he madly fancies. Anyway, both are a great read!

Also, thank you Lyn, I'll look out for that one of yours!

Take care all!

Vicky

Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goa at christmas

Vicky - have read Holy Cow and enjoyed it haven't read are you experienced though so thanks for that. Shantaram is based on fact if you key that into a search engine with the authors name there are quite a few web sites relating to it. It is supposed to be made into a film with Jonny Depp as Lin.

Bet it will be your best read

cheers

Lyn

Wales
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Goa at christmas

Evening!

It's already ordered ready for my next trip to India in Dec! It will help me out on my long train journeys! Thanks again!

Vicky x

Barry, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goa at christmas

Vicki, just go my copy of are you experienced which will keep for 11 weeks till I am laying on the beach

thanks

Lyn,

Get answers to your questions about Goa
Recent Conversations