We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plug adaptors and Malaria

Merthyr
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Plug adaptors and Malaria

Hi guys!!

Its the Goa virgin again!!!

Just wondering what type of plug adaptor we will need for the electricity sockets in Goa??

Also, is it advisable to take a course of malaria tablets before/during our holiday???

Any help much appreciated!

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plug adaptors and Malaria

Hi

Me and my OH are GOa vrigins too and going for the first time on 22nd Feb - I'm not sure about the adaptors either but as far as malaria tablets go, yes we need to get them from the chemist who will tell us what we need specifically for Goa, we have take them two weeks before travel and for 4 weeks after coming back.

I recommend getting the jabs too - we had ours done before chrimbo - 1 needle for tetanus, diptheria and polio, a typhoid jab and a Hep A jab - they were free to have and it is very reassuring to have them.

nottingham
Level Contributor
147 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plug adaptors and Malaria

2 round pin adaptor, and it's same voltage as here.

Definately take anti-malaria drugs.

Edited: 07 January 2010, 20:59
Hertfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plug adaptors and Malaria

Get your plug adapters out there coz they fit better and cost next to nothing and you should take advice about Malaria tablets and what is best for you, Pharmacists normally give you good advice.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plug adaptors and Malaria

Malaria tablets are a must!!! you will be putting your life at risk if you don't take them.

To get them, go to brennans online, muc cheaper.

BOB.

South Wales, New...
Level Contributor
687 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Plug adaptors and Malaria

I personally and many others on here would not go without taking the Tabs.

A local girl to us died, for not taking them while taking a holiday in Gambia, they were recommended there like Goa.

Brennans and Travelpharm online are the cheapest you will find.

States on box start 1 week before entering Malaria area, two weeks while away then 4 weeks on return. 7 weeks course.

European plugs can be used but not succesful, i found them loose in the socket, bought an adapter plug there.

Taffy.

Northampton
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Plug adaptors and Malaria

We have been recommended to take Paludrine/Avloclor, which has Progunail and Chloroquine in it as a travel pack. One pack is for a two week holiday (as previously mentioned 1 week before, 2 there and 4 weeks after). Cost between £10 - £15 per pack, available over the counter in any pharmacy, Lloyds, Boots independant etc. If you are buying from a website you should only buy from one which is a registered pharmacy to ensure they are genuine. Definetley take them for it's not worth risking your health for only £15.

Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plug adaptors and Malaria

We have taken the Paludrine/Avlocor combo every time on five visits, with no side effects and, more importantly, no malaria.

Take them after food and you should be fine.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plug adaptors and Malaria

Malaria questions answered i beleive...;-)

You can buy a travel plug out there for about a quid...and it fits better than the universal ones you buy in UK.

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plug adaptors and Malaria

I am off to Goa in about 3 weeks - 1st time as well

I would definitely take the full course of malaria tablets (Before, During AND After) I would not take any chances, better to be safe than sorry.

The course I will be taking is 1 daily tablet & 1 weekly one - as advised by my pharmacist

I would make sure all your injections are up to date as well

They are all laughing at my medicine chest but you just wait til they need some headache or diarrhoea tablets!!

middlesex
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Plug adaptors and Malaria

you can buy diarrhoea tablets and anything else you need at a fraction of the price you pay here.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim