We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jabs

devon
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Jabs

My needlephobic OH won't let me book if jabs are a necessity, are they?

ta,

maninblack

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,660 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jabs

They're not compulsory but are recommended and personally I wouldn't risk going without them.

England
Level Contributor
702 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jabs

Necessary, no. But I do what I reasonably can to avoid the need to seek emergency medical treatment abroad in the first place, and then at least mitigate some of the risks when there is no option.

Why? India has some of the best medical facilities in the world, but standards can vary wildly depending on where you are when you fall ill or have an accident. If you are away from quality medical care when you need it, you could come home with something very nasty - like hepatitis.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jabs

I also hate needles BUT I did had an all in one and it was nothing like I expected. t was very easy NO pain and I didnt look when She did it. Also it lasts for three and a half years.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jabs

Going to India without your jabs and catching hepatitis would be the least of your worries!!! Get them.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,617 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Jabs

My husband is terrified of needles and faints if he sees them going in, but he still had the jabs done.

kent
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Jabs

jusy have a look on line at people that have the deseases that you can get vacinated against, all for free.

The picture will persuade you to have a tiny scratch..

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jabs

ave all thats going - they could save your life,health and they are free? they are over a nd done in a moment. best of luck

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jabs

Does anyone know what your position with your holiday insurance would be if you caught one of the diseases and hadn't had the recommended vaccination?

Would they try to wriggle out of paying out if you got typhoid, had to spend some time in hospital and then be repatriated?

England
Level Contributor
702 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jabs

Good point Prettypollycat.

Firstly, there is a general exclusion clause in UK holiday insurance policies, e.g:

"Travelling or intending to travel to a country, area or event declared unsafe by the Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office if this information was public knowledge before you booked or departed on your trip."

So there is a general duty for the insured to check with the FO before travelling. If they do, they will also see this specific advice for India:

"You should seek medical advice before travelling to India and ensure that all appropriate vaccinations are up-to-date."

Then there are the more specific terms and conditions such as the following:

"We will not pay claims related directly or indirectly to you travelling against medical advice or if you would be travelling against medical advice had you asked for advice before starting the trip."

That makes the position pretty clear, particularly as you will be travelling knowing you have not had the recommended vaccinations.

So there is a double risk - you are more likely to fall ill and you are less likely to be covered for those same medical expenses!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Jabs

You need to seek medical advice, to find out the best protection for you, I never take anti Malarials or have injections, thats just my personal choice, however, I would never advise that others do this.

On the topic of insurance, its worth remembering that, they will not pay out for accidents, falls, broken bones ect, if you have consumed any alchohol.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim