We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

health

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Haworth west Yorks
4 posts
Save Topic
health

Hi

We are first time travellers to Goa. Does anyone have any tips on regarding what not to do ..to ensure tummy upsets etc.. are kept to a minimum. I am not too worried but certain friends have said erm.. Travelling to India...Delhi belly and all of that?? Any advise appreciated.

Thanks sandra

London, UK
Level Contributor
504 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: health

Most important thing is not to drink tap water and therefore eat anytging washed by tap water such as fruit, ice etc etc

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: health

Hi Inca we have been told in this forum that things to calm delhi belly and other medications are really cheap and the pharmacy staff are very helpfull if you do get ill but nonbody has really had a bad experience out there just the odd bit which could just be down to different food. there was a posting about hospitals, you type in 'hospitals ' in the search box at the top to find what comes up.

We are from Bradford and its out first time too 15th to 30th dec and are looking forward to sun and sea too (heat will soo good too).

Nottingham UK
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: health

Hi, is it normal for shacks/restaurants to use tap water to rinse salads/ make ice or do they use filtered water for this?

We're going 15th to 30th too so we may be on the same flight - lol.

aldershot u.k
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: health

hi we have travelled quite a bit to hot places, the one thing we have learned that very cold drinks with or without ice that are drunk quickly can cause stomach problems.We took a nephew on holiday to Tunisia(8 years old)first time for him abroad. After a few days he was riddled with stomach problems, we immediately took him off the cold drinks and very quickly he went back to normal. The cold can kill off the good bugs in your stomach.

England
Level Contributor
272 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: health

Don't worry too much about dodgy tummies, yes, you may get the odd problem, but from experience, I think it's a lot to do with people not drinking enough water and getting dehydrated. Bottled water is plentiful and cheap everywhere. Unless you have to travel, try not to take anything for it as things such as Imodium just bung you up (sorry, could't think of a better word)and you get bad tomach cramps. Try rehydation salts which are avilable in Goan pharmacies and lay off food for a day, this usually works.

On the question about beach shacks, I'm not sure what they wash salads in, but I personally woudn't eat salad stuff from one.Due to a lack of electricity in the majority of shacks (apart from in the busier parts of Candolim/Calangute) ice is never an option.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: health

hi goabound where are you flying from we are manchester

hereford
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: health

Hi have been to Candolim twice and as an insulin dependent diabetic( 4 Injections a day)I was very worried .No need the food is excellent We tended to eat at Bon Appetite Flambay and stone house.The food was so fresh without additives I had to lower my insulin. Enjoy your holiday we had to give this year a miss but can't wait until next year.

walsall
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: health

Hi,

we are going from manchester 15th - 30th also.

Sounds like were gonna have a ball.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: health

we will have to start a gangcalled the Goa Forumers!!! (sad me)

yeah what a ball cant wait ...

Nottingham UK
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: health

Hi Alishamoonbeam, we go from Gatwick on the 15th. Just had notification that they've changed our flight times...which is wonderful seeing as I've already bought train tickets. Ah well...as we're staying with my son in London the night before it don't make much difference on the way out, but we'll be twiddling our thumbs at Gatwick for 3 hours coming home....that's gonna be a long day. Thanks a lot First Choice holidays!

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations