We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible problem with visa

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
820 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Possible problem with visa

Apologies if this has been covered before but heard today a friend of mine travelling to Goa in December has had her visa refused at the moment as she is a serving police officer.

Handed the papers over the counter in Birmingham and was told she wouldnt be given a visa unless she had an accompanying letter from her manager (Sergeant or above) stating she was going on holiday and not to work in Goa.

After a telephone call to the consulate she was informed that this had been introduced six months ago and any person from;

Local Government (including police)

Medical

Press and Media

Religion

would need a letter. When challenged that this wasnt stated anywhere she received an apology from the consulate which was not that helpful considering she had queued for four hours prior to being refused. Hopefully this will get sorted once she has the letter but has obviously caused frustration so thought I would post it for anyone who was unaware.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible problem with visa

And you wonder why people are geting hacked off with this annual procedure! I hope your friend gets its sorted sooner rather than later dywall.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible problem with visa

I think police officers and others have had problems in the past and have had to provide written proof that they're not going to work in Goa, but in the past it was, I think, at the discretion of whoever was dealing with the application. Worth knowing, although I'm none of the above!

St.Annes, Lancashire
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible problem with visa

I was under the impression that this has been the rule for a number of years!

Very annoying for people who work in these professions.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
820 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible problem with visa

The last time she went was two years ago and she didnt have to provide the letter so she rolled up clutching form passport and money as she had before not thinking it would be any different to her last application.

Thanks St Alex I hope she gets sorted soon too.

We are travelling with other friends next year and she is a nurse so I am going to warn her about the letter for when we apply for visas, would rather have a letter and not need it than not have one and be refused. Think we will be applying a lot earlier than we intended to.

London
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible problem with visa

Yes have heard of these professions having problems over past couple years. I believe it is mentioned somewhere on website. Bit late for you but would advise anyone in those professions to put down something else, like electrician, plumber, retired etc....

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible problem with visa

i agree this is not new been going on for a number of years

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible problem with visa

I can remember reading about a guy who applied for his visa last year and was told he needed a letter confirming that he wouldn't work whilst in Goa - I can't remember what he put down as his occupation but apparently, he played the organ in a church.

I remember a number of posts about this last year so I don't think it was introduced only 6 months ago.

Last year, there was a link on the VFS website that detailed this (under Supporting Documents' or something like that) but I've been all over the website just now and can't find it.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it somewhere though.

Unfortunately, whoever re-designed the VFS website didn't understand that it was supposed to be a change for the better rather than worse.

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
8,577 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible problem with visa

Hi prettypollycat - The link has disappeared! it was accessed through "All about your Visa>Tourist Visa, then a link at the top. I have sent VFS an email. They will get fed up with me contacting them!

Will advise if/when I get a response.

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible problem with visa

My friend is a nurse - does that mean she could have problems this year? Her visa came back in about 6 days last year with no questions. Would it be better if she put something like 'care assistant' as her occupation. Any Help appreciated!

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Possible problem with visa

Hi Igirl

D'ya know, I've found that link!

Stumbled on it totally by accident.

Here's the link to it:

in.vfsglobal.co.uk/touristvisa_CheckList.html

but you can get to it from the main site by clicking on:

'all about your visa' on the left hand side then

'tourist visa' on the left hand side then

'document check list' across the top

unless they've been really quick to respond to your email and just put it back.

Jaybird, it doesn't say anything about people in the medical profession.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations