We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to take malaria tablets? Goa in December.

liverpool
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need to take malaria tablets? Goa in December.

Hello folks, i am off to Goa in December. I have been getting conflicting advice re malaria tablets. Some have been saying the risk is very low and particularly at that time of year others have been saying its essential to take malaria tablets. Any advice is appreciated!

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets? Goa in December.

Yes please take malaria precautions including tablets,as many on this forum know my friend died three years ago,after contracting malaria in December in Goa

manchester
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets? Goa in December.

Hi, the choice is purely up to you, of course it's advisable to take precautions against any form of disease but not everybody chooses to take Malaria tablets. Although the chances of contracting Malaria in Goa probably isn't as high as other areas of India that doesn't mean to say you won't get it.

There are other precautions to take as well, such as a good Mossie plug-in for your hotel room and a good repellant for yourself, you can get both in Goa and are well worth it, after all prevention is better than cure.

restaurant Casandre...
Level Contributor
194 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets? Goa in December.

YES you have to malaria is very deadly.

Go to your GP ( your medical history ) for advise.

Order them on line with : travelfarm ( dont by them in Goa , can be fakes ).

Some days before + your stay + 4 weeks after supply ( 1 box = 7 weeks )

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets? Goa in December.

Goa is a medium risk area. all normal precautions should be taken. as previously stated, malaria IS deadly. !!!!

BOB

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets? Goa in December.

hi,

very much so malaria is a big risk in goa for the sake of about £22 and putting up with taking them it will be well worth it.

we have just got 2 two week supplies on line from brennans/chemists direct they are very good did lots of reasearch and they came out tops.

p.s. keep checking, the T.A. forum will give you all the answers.

enjoy

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets? Goa in December.

how is it going bob the bus. been on TA for the last 4yrs got the goa bug just booked another two trips any goss

London, United...
Level Contributor
439 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets? Goa in December.

Travelpharm are no longer the cheapest for malarone. They now charge £2.25 a tablet.

There is a company selling them online for £2.10 (Travelpham's last year price). This company has been mentioned on this forum many times - but I cannot recall their name.

LEEDS UK
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets? Goa in December.

One of my thoughts on this is, if you got malaria, would your holiday insurance cover you if you hadn't taken the necessary precautions.

I wouldn't risk it

essex
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets? Goa in December.

Hi Lizeganleeds.

Looks like you are correct!!

What is not covered under ‘Emergency medical and associated

expenses’ and ‘Hospital benefit’

8. Any claim resulting from a tropical disease where you have not had the

recommended inoculations and/or taken the recommended medication.

According to my Saga Travel Insurance the above will not be covered.

Lxx

London, United...
Level Contributor
441 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets? Goa in December.

<<Although the chances of contracting Malaria in Goa probably isn't as high as other areas of India>>

That's not strictly true. Malaria in some other parts of India is relatively low or non-existent. The area above Mumbai and south of Jodhpur is malarial but everywhere else south of Mumbai EXCEPT Goa carry a very low risk.

Have a look at the map. This is the map the nurse at my Dr surgery uses: http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/india/india-malaria-map.aspx. There's a band in the centre but aside from that the rest of India carries a low risk of contracting malaria.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations